My question has nothing to do with treasure, are you supposed to get paid by tv

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was involved in an accident at work about two and a half years ago that should have killed me and the town of Allentown Pa. I happened to be in the right place at the right time to stop six runaway LPG (gasoline) railroad tankers that were rolling down an incline toward our haz-mat yard that contains dozens and dozens of LPG, chlorine, pure ammonia, acid......BAD STUFF. The RR yard I was working in is in downtown Allentown Pa. The cars became runaways because the corperation I work for refused to fix a major safety appliance. Long story short, the cars didn't blow up or leak, but I wound up at the bottom of an embankment in a frozen drainage creek. I wound up with quite a few disabilities as a result. I'm not quite sure how but a cable tv network got my story and wants to film me telling my story of that night. They flew in a two person crew a few weeks ago(camera guy and interviewer) that came to our apartment to film a brief interview of my story and to see I was in front of a camera. I later found out the tape I guess was used to sell me and my story to the network. They havescheduled the actual tapeing for about two weeks from now here in Philly. I am also going to take a camera guy to a public spot where he can get footage of the particular rail operation where I was hurt. The contact person I've been speaking with sent me a copy of "the standard TV release form" to look over to see if I have any questions ahead of time. They haven't mentioned anything about paying me for any of this. That is my question, should I bring up the money issue? Do people usually get paid for this type of thing?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other issue for me is that I want the public to know how highly this corp. I work for values their lives. The repair would have taken about 6-12 hours but would involve stopping the trains. NOTHING stops the trains. It also occurred just before Christmas, managment gets a nice bonus for keeping costs down and production up. I just think that people need to know what is rolling through their backyards in the middle of the night and the values of the corperation moving it. In other words, I don't want them to change their minds because I asked about compensation and for the cover up of the accident to continue on

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my attorney a copy of the contract. He just doesn't want the show to air before the Federal court case begins but I'm afraid that will make them change their minds

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think by " not " being paid.. It gives you more credibility and puts more pressure on the company. Maybe you should call Erin Brockavich.. remember the movie with Julie Roberts ??

PLL

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that was a good movie. I know the network isn't a non profit organization. I could be wrong but my thinking was that networks make money from the content between advertisments, and if I'm the content..... The release also says they can use whatever of my content for whatever they want for as long as they want? my attorney isn't very easy to get ahold of and is terrible at returning phone calls but I guess I really just need to get his attention and talk to him more about it

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in Radio and TV for a short time. The revenue is generated by commercials. I give you a quick idea. Let's say channel 100 has 2 shows, friends and 2 1/2 men. They pay for those shows and if the want a exclusive they will pay more. Let's say that each episode costs them $ 5000 each and has a total running time of 20 minutes. That gives the station 10 min of billable time. Take away 2:30 for PSA's ( Public Service Annocements ) and promo's for the station. Now they have 7:30 of time to sell. Now they will most likely sell the time at $ 2000 a min, that would give them a gross profit of $10K ( $15000- $5000=$10000 ). Some people would think That's a lot, but, take out the cost of the station and it's employees etc., it's not as much as you would think. That's about the short of it..

PLL

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
Re: My question has nothing to do with treasure, are you supposed to get paid b

You will not be paid.

I have been flown from LA to New York and put up in a luxury hotel for an appearance on CNBC and was not paid.

If you want to do it just sign the release and do it. If not then don't.

If you ask for money they will probably just drop it. You are not a "Big Deal" and they will not generate revenue for your appearance.

As far as your story , they can just omit you and say "based on actual events" they do it all the time.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info PLL, I really had no idea how the whole thing worked. It's an hour long show for season two. The network is owned by Fox. Either way I would be happy to have the company exposed, they lied about the accident in the official report to the FRA(federal railroad administration) in order to win an award that comes with a big fat contract

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably what I'll wind up doing Metalhead, just wanted to hear other people's opinion the whole thing

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
Re: My question has nothing to do with treasure, are you supposed to get paid b

Even if you were offered a movie deal for your story it sounds like a lawsuit would be more profitable. I would do the shoot for free for sure
as it increases prior public knowledge and makes your case more familiar to potential jurors or those close to jurors.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me you should be protected under the " whistleblower " laws... no ?? I would bring this to the attention of the FRA...

PLL

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole lawsuit thing has been on going for a while now, I don't fall under workmen's comp laws because I work for the railroad. One good thing about the laws I do fall under is that I can sue my employer without any fear of recourse. I just won't settle with the company because any settlement they offer comes with a gag order

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fall under a set of laws called the FELA, federal employees liability act. It was brought about a long time ago to try to get the freight carriers to think of their train and engine crews as a little less disposable. I'm not sure where that puts me as far as whistleblower laws?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cam,
It should put you right in the middle of the whistle blower law.
But to be sure I would speak with your lawyer.
If you do sue go for REALLY BIG money
(that way you can settle for enough to make it worth your while to keep your mouth shut) LOL

Seriously,
I hope you can get it all sorted out before you have to go bankrupt.
That is what the RR lawyers will try to do. Postpone, postpone, postpone......
once you run out of money.....
Then they can usually get you to settle on their terms.

Thom

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are well past bankrupt Thom, it just seems like nothing ever changes until Johnny nobody digs his heels into the ground and says NO. I want change, they could have killed an aweful lot of people that night, men, women and children. If you look up Graniteville SC. Norfolk Southern 2005 you will get an idea of what just one chlorine tanker can do. I just don't think it's fair. The court thing has been dragging on for two years now with delay after delay after delay. I thought fed judges were elected officials, turns out they arre not and if they feel like golfing the day your trial is supposed to begin, you get blown off for another six months or so

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everybody for the advice!

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Cam thanks for doing what you did to protect lives.

I was on the fire dept for almost 30 yrs and have been to many train derailments and also leaking car incidents.
I had all kinds of hazmat training and let me tell you folks out their that standing in a hot zone fighting fires and dealing with release of anytime of gas is some scary chit.
Im sorry you were injured and I would definately seek legal advice before signing anything related to the incident.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the kind words bbqbull, if your ever in another rail incident try to find the conductor asap and get the manifest report, it will tell you whats on board the train, where its located and how to handle it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread