Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:
The Richard 11 London Penny I found last year has gone to auction, at the time of finding this coin I never new just how rare it was. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/436816-decent-day-last.html
I took it to the York coin fair last week were it got a great review, I was recommended to send it to auction, so I did.

Mod's...if I have posted this in the wrong thread, please feel free to remove to the correct thread.:thumbsup:

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is killer SS! Thanks for sharing with us. And best of luck with the results

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great price for a hammered silver, hopefully cover the Deus.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great price for a hammered silver, hopefully cover the Deus.
Yes it earned it's corn that day, I'm looking at a new coil with a full bottom end for a back up coil, so this will take care of that.

SS

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great SS..Hey if you get enough money, maybe you can give some to CRU. So he can get a car, when i come over?? Lol
George

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I hope it sells for more than the top-end of the estimate. Also, it's rather unrelated but I was wondering if you got to keep that hoard of Edward III groats and half-groats found years ago? It's one of my favorite banner finds here.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I hope it sells for more than the top-end of the estimate. Also, it's rather unrelated but I was wondering if you got to keep that hoard of Edward III groats and half-groats found years ago? It's one of my favorite banner finds here.
Yes I kept, well sold it at a later date.:thumbsup: I was surprised that no more turned up on that field, even though we went back for years, and even after a very deep plough no more turned up.

SS

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks for the update. I'd have a hard time selling those, but ya gotta pay to play! (for upgrades, gas etc). Hope this one can help fund some equipment/travel which will pay off in more excellent hammered Medieval dividends! :coins:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on the sale. Is it me, or does the picture on the coin look a little cartoonish?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck on the sale. Is it me, or does the picture on the coin look a little cartoonish?

My own person feeling towards King Richard's profile on the hammered coins is if the die maker made me look like that he'd die. :laughing7:

Silver Searcher that's a great est. on the hammered really hope you get an upside to the bidding.

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great coin! Congrats, friend! Fingers crossed on the auction--and wish I had enough $$ to bid! :)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My own person feeling towards King Richard's profile on the hammered coins is if the die maker made me look like that he'd die. :laughing7:

Silver Searcher that's a great est. on the hammered really hope you get an upside to the bidding.
The portrait is a exceptional strike, it's what making the value so high.:thumbsup:

If the coin had not been clipped on the edges we would have been talking of a £2000+ coin. When you consider Medieval pennies were mainly struck on flans no bigger than 19mm, I think they did really well, with the detail they got.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean :laughing7: But compared to other images of Kings struck on coins, this one has much greater detail, it must have bean done by a skilled die maker, and remember Richard 11 was only 14 years of age when he came to the throne. He was deposed by Henry1V in 1399, and starved to death in prison.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great coin! Congrats, friend! Fingers crossed on the auction--and wish I had enough $$ to bid! :)
Just sell one of your Bankers stamped quarters.:laughing7:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread