My recent half finds for last week, 1971 silver?

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went through 10 boxes last week and it only produced 2 40%ers ( booooo... I may have a found a 1971 P on a silver planchet though. Some things look right and some things dont. So far all my research say it should be a D mint so thats a possible problem, and the weight is only 11.12 so thats a problem. but it totally looks silver, the edges look my other 40%ers, and it passed the tissue test, and the sound test. Its weird but I dont really know what to do with it at this point. I want to find if theres a way to test if its plated without messing it up. I sure hope its legit though.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, post some pictures of your coin so we can help you identify it, a picture is worth 1,000 words.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99.9999% of the time when someone has a, "I may have a silver coin minted in a year which none were purposely minted." the coin is plated.

By the coin passing the sound test and weighing less than a non-silver clad half should weigh, a "foreign planchet error" is another, albeit unlikely possibility.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one just like it. Did not pass the tissue test.

I know you are well antiquated with the tissue test, so this is not directed at you.

To newcomers to this tissue test, you need to make sure you buy good Kleenex Brand tissues. With Cheap toilet paper, the godforsaken coin will just rip through.

Think next time, you might be throwing back silver, because you were to cheap to spend an extra $2 on premium tissue paper and decided to get a 29 cent roll of the cheapest toilet paper available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions