My results from hunting after Hanna

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello there,

Well, Ill start out by admitting I made a mistake. The pictures I posted before were of a small area, and did not reflect the entire beachfront. This is a picture of the average cut on the beach after Hanna.

Picture 063.JPG

Turns out when I went down and took the pictures during the storm, I was right there at the one place where there was a big cut. The decieving thing about it is that this is where they dump the dredge matieral from keeping the nearby inlet clear. So since this area was unnaturally higher than the rest of the beach, it seemed much larger. So, again, I apologize for posting those pictures without checking the rest of the beach first.

Anywho, Saturday as soon as the rain passed, I was off to the beach. Turns out I was able to get there 3 hours before low tide. The timing was perfect! I met many people on the beach, and must have seen 15-20 other detectors combing the sand. All in all, Hanna was a disapointment. No big gold was found that I saw or heard of, and, very little gold at all. Only a few small rings, and I managed two small pieces.

Fatima.JPG

The earring is not marked, but looks super. I plan to test the diamonds, and if they are good, Ill know for sure the gold is too. The pendant is a Hand of Fatima, and according to my wife, it is a Muslim protection charm. When I found the earring, it was completly by coincidence. I had a target, dug 4 or 5 scoops til the hole was empty. Found a quarter in the sand, and was about to fill in the hole, when I noticed something strange. Closer inspection revealed a small gold earring! I was stunned, If I hadnt seen it, I probably would not have found it, and it does ring up in the Nickle/Pulltab range. I am lucky and happy to ahve found it, and, it taught me a lesson - always double check them holes, even in the water and wet sand. Aside from those 2 items and a little trash, I ended up with over 5 bucks in clad.

Sunday morning, I combed the 15 blocks north of where I had checked the day before, and, not one piece of jewelry. Only managed a few bucks in clad, and little more.

This evening, I met up with a gentleman who lost a ring about 3 weeks ago at a nearby beach. His dad died 3 years ago, and one thing he inherited was his retirement ring. He was at the beach then, and after boogie boarding, noticed his ring was gone! I spent over 3 hours hunting the water, and then combed the dry sand around where he had been sitting, and no ring. I plan to give it another go soon, and hopefully I can find some local detectorists to help me. The catch is he lost it on a Navy base, and it is on federal property. I took the risk hunting there, and didnt garner any unwanted attention from the MPs this time. Hopefully next time as well. I spent 45 miniutes in the wet sand/water before I picked up a single signal. He saw me digging and ran to see what came up, and was very upset to see a green quarter. Few hours later, and I had about 2 bucks in change, some odd trash, and not one piece of jewelry. Hopefully next time I can get there on a minus tide, and find the ring for him.

Well, that is all for me this weekend. A little dissapointing, but at least I have some gold to show. Unfortunatly, most I met had none, so I feel fortunate to have any at all. I had such grand hopes too with the storm coming through, but maybe next time.

HH,
Anthony

Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Anytime you go home with Gold is a Great day. Congrats... and hey, there's always tomorrow.. Your starting to sound greedy like me. :laughing7:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
This is much better than my average day, as I did find some gold. But with Hanna pushing through, I was hoping that there would be a lot more, and a lot larger pieces out there in the find zone. Oh well, that just means there is more for me to find later.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel ...you can't complain about that....rdi

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well considering all that you wrote about the beach and all..I think you did great.. gold is gold and boy I betcha they are diamonds in that earring.. either way, like you said, more for you the next time.. but, Big congrats to ya and thank you for such a story too, it was well written and kept everyones interest.. I loved it.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold...Looks like a great place to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread