Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you strictly dry and wet sand? I ask because out in the water I would think the set up would be a hassle, maybe even dangerous. Do you find this more comfortable than just dragging it behind you?

OP
OP
Fitzwilk

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you strictly dry and wet sand? I ask because out in the water I would think the set up would be a hassle, maybe even dangerous. Do you find this more comfortable than just dragging it behind you?

Yes......I've just used this for beach hunting and is more comfortable for me than dragging or carrying scoop over shoulder. I've not been under water yet, other than some 3 foot deep tidal pools. What do you use to dig underwater?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry is 100% correct here. I use to use a simple chest harness for my excal control unit. One day I was hunting a fairly shallow run, maybe rib-deep, got hit by a surge and the next thing I know the handle of my scoop has slid up through the harness and the undertow from the retreating surge was suddenly dragging me with it. NEVER attach anything to your body that you can't easily detach. Straps, ropes, etc.,.....they may serve a purpose and seem like a good idea but they can also twist around in the current and wrap you up in a hurry. Next day I was back to the straight shaft with nothing attached to my body other then my headphones and forearm strap. :thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As BigScoop says, in the water you do not want extra straps that can get tangled when you bite it getting hit by a wave.

OP
OP
Fitzwilk

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to trying underwater detecting when the water warms into the 70's later this spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread