My second time detecting

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt find much worth even going out, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! I found ALOT of aluminum/tin siding scraps near my house.
I found the wheat penny about 2" down, and as soon as I picked up the detector it beeped real good 6" from the wheat hole. I dug it and it was all crusty and as I squeezed it, it got slimy... :icon_scratch: Then I wiped it off on my pants and it was the half dollar! It was coated in some sort of grease :dontknow: ???
Why on earth would it be coated in grease?

I also come up with a wheel weight, what looks to be either a fence post cap or a trailer wheel bearing cap, some sort of tag, and a few clad coins. 3-4 of the pennies I've found the other day and today seem to have hard bubbles on them like they started to melt/boil?
Sorry the pics look bad... The wheat is '57

CAM00043.jpg
CAM00044.jpg

Upvote 8

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt - Congrats! :occasion14:

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! The bubbling on the pennies is caused by reacting with chemicals in the soil (the start of corrosion). The grease on the half dollar may have actually protected it. HH.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! The bubbling on the pennies is caused by reacting with chemicals in the soil (the start of corrosion). The grease on the half dollar may have actually protected it. HH.

I agree. Within a year it would have started to turn brown otherwise.

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of chemicals are in my lawn that make pennies bubble like that?! :o
Should I keep the kids off the lawn? :icon_cyclops_ani: lol

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Now just need the ground to thaw a lot more so I can dig the deeper tones!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a yard hunt few days back, found a couple greasy coins. It was a spot they parked cars, cars leak fluids sometimes. Some body might have just spilled bacon grease in your spot in the yard where you found that half. What was the date on that half, nice finds all of them, congrats! I don't think you need to call the hazmat team just yet, don't panic over a little spilled "whatever" My guess is, it was a parking spot.

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a yard hunt few days back, found a couple greasy coins. It was a spot they parked cars, cars leak fluids sometimes. Some body might have just spilled bacon grease in your spot in the yard where you found that half. What was the date on that half, nice finds all of them, congrats! I don't think you need to call the hazmat team just yet, don't panic over a little spilled "whatever" My guess is, it was a parking spot.
It was a bicentennial. It was completely coated in a heavy grease. Like a grease you'd use in a grease gun for grease fittings on suspension components. Seems like it was intentionally put on it. But why would anyone want to preserve a bicentennial half?

OP
OP
F

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet one of your friends are messing with you.

That was one of the first things I thought of, but it was a good 4" down and the ground wasn't disturbed before I dug. I just got my detector a month or so ago, so nobody has had a chance to "plant" it.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Maybe some previous owner did home car repair. Greasy hands, greasy money. Could have slipped into the grass, waiting for you to find it. Get rest of the siding chips out so you can get to the better targets. Good luck and keep us posted.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds wicked promising-I would hammer the entire area!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding a half dollar on your second outing. It took over 2 years to find my first.

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grease kept it looking new. I dug the same year half last summer it was the color of rust. Great find. Halves are hard to come by clad or silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread