My shop truck is parked outside with a bed literally full of clothes...

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday morning I noticed a two-foot stack of clothes next to a dumpster in my apartment complex. When I say stack I mean still neatly on hangers just laid flat on the ground, to give you an idea of how many shirts there were. I didn't stop because we're trying to downsize and also avoid bed bugs, and bringing strange clothes into the house defeats at least one of those purposes. Later in the day I was walking my dog by that same dumpster when a man pulled up in a pickup and started throwing more armfuls of pressed & hung clothing in. He looked about my boyfriend's size so I asked if I could grab a couple of shirts, which he didn't mind. He wasn't rude to me at all but he didn't seem like a very happy camper or I would have asked then if I could just load the clothes from his truck into mine.

My bf liked the shirts and definitely needs some new duds, so I went back and loaded half of the bed of our Dodge Ram (to the top!) with clothing, which still left a substantial looking pile. Started sorting and realized that there was a ton of older Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, and other designer stuff, also cashmere sweaters, wool dress slacks etc. Once I pulled out a vintage Hilfiger jacket that sells for $60+ all day long on eBay the bf was more than happy to spot me while I climbed in and handed out the rest of the stuff. Now the bed of our truck is full to the top with nice men's clothing that could very well pay our rent for the next couple of months, just have to sort & then clean everything that will sell. I'm guessing at least half of this stuff will end up donated (to a real charity, not GW) instead of listed on eBay due to condition issues or whatever but I feel pretty good about that too, better than them going to the landfill for sure.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Ya did good! Thanks for sharing...

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing at least half of this stuff will end up donated (to a real charity, not GW) instead of listed on eBay due to condition issues or whatever but I feel pretty good about that too, better than them going to the landfill for sure.

Plus you can get a charitable donation tax form for anything you donate to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Might not be much, but that's less you have to pay the IRS at tax time. :)

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, it's looking to be a surprisingly nice score. I know this picture will seem anticlimactic, if it helps this only shows about half of the clothing we picked up and MIA are two more yard waste bags of items for donation that are in my mom's house with a bunch of other stuff that's going.

ForumRunner_20150531_193502.png

So going from right to left: one bag of clothes we are keeping and a couple of things to sell that need washed immediately; six bags of lightly used-to-NWT men's polos and button downs, all designer (Hilfiger, Nautica, a ton of brand new Izod high-performance wicking athletic shirts, a bunch of nice silk shirts including some Tommy Bahama Hawaiians, etc.), and two yard waste bags of items too damaged/stained/etc to donate that are going to the dump on the next run. I am none too fond of selling clothing on eBay but I can't really pass this up. Will be dedicating a lot of my downtime over the next couple of weeks to laundering and retail-folding maybe a couple hundred shirts? Friends and relatives may be tricked/bribed into helping because right now I'm finding the prospect pretty daunting, lol.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I think its totally worth it. You got it all for free, you might as well sell it! And while you say you don't like selling clothing on ebay, mens clothing is actually very easy to sell. As long as you measure correctly, guys tend to be fine with buying without trying on. Thats my main focus and I've only had one or two returns ever. Plus shipping is cheap and worry free!

sidenote, vintage Tommy Hilfiger jackets are very hot right now, sell those first as the fad could die any second. Stuff with big logos is the most popular, anything particularly 90's looking will do quite well for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions