My smallest piece of gold yet...My version of the blue bowel

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't seem to find any big gold so I thought I would practice on finding the smaller stuff that we all know is there but is a pain in the but to collect it...

The material is made from a non slip rubber so any gold in there will cling to the bottom. This is a pic of my first run, 2 scoops that was classified through 50 mesh. It's a slow process but it seemed to work really well when I ran a small amount that was classified through an 1/8 classifier.

BlackBowel.jpg

Hope to have a couple pics to add if this is successful even if its not still fun trying new stuff....

After an hour of running my new bowel...Looks like it's starting to clean up nicely...

BlackBowel2.jpg

Well it's all down to black sand only... I have it fine tuned to where its slowly peeling a small layer of black sand off. I know this process can take a while but I am finding it an obsession to find the the fine gold...

BlackBowel33.jpg

I would say my little black bowel is working pretty good.... The smallest piece of gold I have yet to find myself....

spec.jpg

Upvote 0

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very interesting to me because here in Utah I have just started prospecting an that is the only size gold I have been able to find. Maybe even smaller. I literally have to take spoon fulls at a time in my pan to identify an get out.... Not exactly the gold rush I had envisioned lol. I don't know but is there anything currently out there on the market to efficiently extract gold that small?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See if you can Google the Alaska trip the GPAA runs--they have specially designed, very wide sluice boxes for that purpose, and they use "poop tubes" to run concentrates.

All the best,

Lanny

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
UTduder,

Google "GoldCube Concentrator". I just ordered the 4 tray and can't wait. It was designed by guy's in Minnesota where they have glacial gold which is very small. Check it out. Been out a couple years and has many excellent reviews so it has really proved itself.

Randy

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randy has bought,built and ran just about every goldfarb ever over these many past years I've known him. Looking forward as always to his musings and as always Randy...... tons a au 2 u 2-John

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about the same size I'm finding to in the creek down stream of 3 old 1930 hydraulic mines

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sluice down the material than pan out the gold it takes time and be calm

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have u done any research what stream r u looking in

Utduder

Oct 12, 2012
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya me to but sorting through all the black sand to get a few pin head specks takes so soo long. Don't get me wrong I love doing it but doing it fast would be even better.

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a gold screw it's also know as a gold wheel or you can set up a high bank sluice at your house and concentrate your concentrate

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only gold I have found yet

Attachments

• image-3778814457.jpg
    image-3778814457.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 144

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that is about the same size as the gold i am getting up here in alaska, specks stuck in with magnetite and red sand, i wonder if my keene A52 sluice is catching it well enough or should i use a different setup? it's alot of work for a small amount. i am not doing it for a living i just enjoy it. the richest spot i found gets around 5-6 of those specks per 1/3 unclassified material, its on a lake and i dont have a pump yet to upgrade my sluice to a highbanker so i'm stuck to panning. how much material at that rate would i have to process to get a full troy ounce?

shaggy21

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot because one Troy ounce is 2.2 pounds plus i found that color out of 1 and a 1/2, 5gallon bucket

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To separate that fine gold in your pan without fancy equipment:
Start with material which you have dried and removed anything you can get with a magnet.
1. Classify (I use an old metal mesh coffee filter from a thrift shop) so you have only fine material in your pan; a rice washing screen from an Asian grocery works good too...or a 50-100 mesh prospectors screen of course, I am just SO cheap...
2. Use a smooth bottom finish gold pan ($2 variety)
3. Put drops of jet-dry in your pan with the fine cons and water
4. Tip pan to one side then shake front to back (toward and away from yourself with one hand, banging the pan against your other hand (held at far edge of pans range of movement)) a bunch of times...this moves all the gold to the far edge of your material
5. Use a combo of swirl and tap to bring gold out of material...about as much swirling as tapping, no more

You will be surprised how easily this pulls the fine gold out and how much easier it is to see it when it is clumped together.

Then remember to send me 10% as my commission ;-) or help a newbie...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread