My take of GW Inaugural buttons ... and a possible wearer from way back.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a look at my modest George Washington inaugural button finds.
The smaller "Long Live the President" lapel or vest buttons might have come in two plating colors since signs of both gold and silver can be seen. The larger buttons are the same design and show how much better certain soils protect ... or destroy. Hunting formerly farmed fields can show the deleterious effects of fertilizers on coins, damaging copper more than silver.
I found another GW button but sold it, giving into an offer I couldn't resist. It paid for all nine of my metal detectors, ironically, to almost the penny.
All my finds are from South Jersey.
Two of the lapel buttons, found only inches apart, I have been able to trace back to a likely wearer: a gentleman who lived in a homestead within 100 yards of the find point. He was not only close to GW but was personally decorated by him during and after his service. Oddly, his family (namesake) showed very little interest in the buttons when I contacted them. Oh, well, history isn't everyone's bag.
Hunting note: I have hunted heavily forested regions that, per research, were farmlands for sometimes three hundred years. Despite being overgrown, they still show faint signs of oft-furrowed earth. Such former farmlands can sometimes be indicated by stretches of trees of the exact same height and species, often pines. As with modern farmed fields, overgrown fields can contain damaged coins and buttons the victims of centuries of fertilizer. Organic fertilizer, including manure, can be real corrosive stuff.
gw1.jpg gw2.jpg gw3.jpg

Upvote 14

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is that you've been VERY BLESSED!!!!!! CONGRATZ .......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome collection of finds! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Modest" is not the correct word. "Awesome" is better!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great buttons, they surely are pieces of history! Congrats on five, that is super considering how hard they are to find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread