My Take on the Tesoro Tejon & Tesoro detectors in general

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I really like the Tejon detector a lot.

I like the duel disk and the weight of the detector is still good no problems swinging it all. I have found no issues at all with the touchy ground balance of the Tejon. I have always understood the ground balance thing and never really had any issues understanding how it works. I know some guys really struggle with understanding it. I should have got another Tejon detectors sooner. I made the mistake of selling my last one a few years back, big mistake. I have tried a lot of detectors over the years and have found the VID meters to not be accurate at depth (example you hit a dime at 7" to 8" or 10" it will likely read iron on a lot of VDI units and the VDI will be way off). VDI tend to be very jumpy with trash and multiple targets making them of no real use. VDI meters on the other hand tend to be accurate at more normal or minimal depth when you pass your coil right over a particular target only and are very nice in these situations.

Tone units & VDI

Tone units with lots of tones don't make it any better either sometimes and tend to do the same thing in trash. The tones become erratic and tend to run together.

On the other hand though say the Tejon was set up as a two tone machine with the break at were you set the disk & the option with a toggle to turn this feature on and off. I think would be fantastic not only on the Tejon but any other Tesoro unit for that fact.

With all that said,

The analog Tesoro detectors are more accurate and give me more accurate info on a hole by just thumbing the disk knob. Also the disk is more accurate at depth on the Tesoro and tend to be spot on in comparison to any VDI machine I have used to date. The analog sound is also better than any digital unit out there and it gives more information. Again, I have found quite often with a VDI unit you will go over a deeper target and get a bad VDI on it and the Tesoro unit without a meter will be accurate just by thumbing the disc on this deeper target. I think a lot of guys with metered VDI units miss deeper targets because of relying on a VDI meter to tell them what's in the ground.

Just my 2 cents..

So my Tesoro detectors are my little top secret weapon.... Lol. I hope Tesoro keeps making them the way they always have. Also the truth is really until there is a massive breakthrough in VLF technology it's going to be hard to beat a good old Tesoro. I learned this little lesson the hard way over the years, again....Lol

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

*Tesoro Tejon
*Tesoro Vaquero
*Tesoro Sand Shark
*Whites M6

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Tejon....Compadre isnt bad either! I will say the higher end Minelabs are impressive how they do ID coins at depth....but for relics i will keep my Tejon!

Miser67

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I agree with the above, I would love it if Tesoro came out with a multitone machine again, like the Golden uMax. I kick myself daily for letting mine go a few years ago.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I agree with the above, I would love it if Tesoro came out with a multitone machine again, like the Golden uMax. I kick myself daily for letting mine go a few years ago.

Always wanted a Golden but have never had one.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Bill! :occasion14:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill G, thank you for your posts about the Tejon. I am really considering this machine for deeper coins and relics. I own and use a nice Golden uMax, but want something with greater depth (greater than the Outlaw). I like the duel disc feature because it seems to give you some ability to ID a target without thumbing the disc nobs all the time, which I don't really like doing.

Would appreciate any thoughts you or others have regarding coils for the Tejon. I know that the 5.75 concentric is a must, but which do you recommend starting with? I live in eastern Ohio, and I don't believe the soul is too bad here, as far as mineralization, seems average to mild.

Is there a noticeable difference between the 12 x 10 and the new RSD widescan coils? What about the stock 9 x 8?

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill G, thank you for your posts about the Tejon. I am really considering this machine for deeper coins and relics. I own and use a nice Golden uMax, but want something with greater depth (greater than the Outlaw). I like the duel disc feature because it seems to give you some ability to ID a target without thumbing the disc nobs all the time, which I don't really like doing.

Would appreciate any thoughts you or others have regarding coils for the Tejon. I know that the 5.75 concentric is a must, but which do you recommend starting with? I live in eastern Ohio, and I don't believe the soul is too bad here, as far as mineralization, seems average to mild.

Is there a noticeable difference between the 12 x 10 and the new RSD widescan coils? What about the stock 9 x 8?

As others have said the 5.75 concentric is a must. The 11x8 RSD is great but dose like bottle caps like most DD designs. I also love the 8" brown 4 pin concentric donut coil on both the Tejon and the Vaquero. The 8" donut coil is great on any Tesoro for that fact.

Another nice coil that is a non Tesoro coil is the Nel 5.5 X9 elliptical DD sharpshooter coil.

But for me the first 3 coils listed will get everything done across the board but if I only could have 2 it would be the 5.75 concentric and the 11X8 RSD.

Thumbing the knob is an art and can tell you a lot if used correctly. I hope Tesoro never changes there face plates because of this very useful benefit and operating feature. I use the alternate disk as a break point but still thumb the knob on the other disk with the Tejon.

The below genral rules of thumb stay true no matter the detector or the brand detector.

Trashy = small coil better separation less depth.
Less trash = bigger coil more coverage more depth.
Mineralized ground = generally DD do better minimal overlap.
Low to mild ground mineralization = concentric coils do very well most times get a little more depth than same size DD coil but require 50% overlap don't want to miss targets.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love my Tejon. The ground balance is unstable compared to the ten Tesoros I have owned in the past going all the way back to my first Inca which I loved but I dont worry much about the GB being slightly out because it is so powerful it just doesnt matter. Just hunt and dig ! 12631320_1190891827607212_4055852710079973158_n.jpg

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered a barely used Tejon at a great price. I used to have a Tejon years ago and was sorry I sold it but needed the money.
I also ordered a 12x10 Widescan DD coil used only two time. :-)
So I'll see how the beast does against my other detectors that are non Tesoro. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been swinging Tesoro's since 83 and still use . Been using the tejon and am just getting comfortable with it and i love it . Yes the ground balance is touchy but thats why it's a deep finder. Best to have a few different coils for diff conditions as the larger coils suffer in trash but you can say that about any machine. I also like the low weight and the lifetime repair...just can't beat a Tesoro...

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been swinging Tesoro's since 83 and still use . Been using the tejon and am just getting comfortable with it and i love it . Yes the ground balance is touchy but thats why it's a deep finder. Best to have a few different coils for diff conditions as the larger coils suffer in trash but you can say that about any machine. I also like the low weight and the lifetime repair...just can't beat a Tesoro...

Oh, you can beat a Tesoro all right, maybe with a baseball bat. But even then, it will keep on ticking! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions