My Test Box project

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• test box 1.jpg
    test box 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 137
  • test box 2.jpg
    test box 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some pics of my test box....just waiting for the ground to thaw enough to get some dirt!

Neat! Go to HD and get a couple bags top soil or Potting soil! Then you can play while you wait!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is in real dirt, the moisture is in contact with the metal object and effects how the detector will see it.. Not sure adding dirt to this will do much compared to an air test as the metal object is insulated with air and not in contact with the soil. But a neat idea, interested to see how it turns out..

I am thinking if the pipes were split in half and you added your metal than filled with dirt that would be more realistic but harder to load and unload the items.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem is in real dirt, the moisture is in contact with the metal object and effects how the detector will see it.. Not sure adding dirt to this will do much compared to an air test as the metal object is insulated with air and not in contact with the soil. But a neat idea, interested to see how it turns out..

I am thinking if the pipes were split in half and you added your metal than filled with dirt that would be more realistic but harder to load and unload the items.

I bet if u fill it with highly mineralized VA dirt....you wont get near the depth with any detector thatt u will on a air test. Just dont know if i want to fill it with bad dirt or a happy medium of mineralization...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question.are you able to get dirt from.say a home improvment place,potting soil,loam mayb make 2-3,of those ser ups with a highley mineralized soil,one with sand, & then mayb some out of ur own ground more the tests more info you would get

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are u saying split the box up....or make more boxes?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a couple others,so you would have more ground persay for the various tests but I mean doin the various ones would give you an idea say what your machine might do say in sand or regular soil or highly mineralized & youd be able yo make programs or setting for places so when you go to those spots ull know what to do or expect

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pure genius. You should patent this unless someone already has built something similar and has the rights.

I'd pay for one of these if it was sturdier than a storage tote. No kidding man, as big as the hobby is right now- you could sell the idea or rights/ patent to someone out there (a company) who could easily market this and make millions off it over the coming years-

Does any company make anything close to this already?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure genius. You should patent this unless someone already has built something similar and has the rights.

I'd pay for one of these if it was sturdier than a storage tote. No kidding man, as big as the hobby is right now- you could sell the idea or rights/ patent to someone out there (a company) who could easily market this and make millions off it over the coming years-

Does any company make anything close to this already?

Definetly could, portable test gardens & theres so many different types of soils you can do with it,not big so if ur in an apartment you'll still be able to do tests wheather there coil tests,program tests whatever the case may be

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys don't think that placing a coin inside a plastic pipe insulating it from the soil with at least an 1 inch+ of air and 1/8" of plastic won't screw the pooch compared to a more real world test garden where the coin is in contact with the soil, packed down like out in the wild? How would you stand a coin on end in this setup?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think.myself it would throw it off that far if any. As of coin on its side since the tubes are on the sides of the unit I mean a simple bbq skewer or peice of wood just something with mayb a putty or simething similar to stick the coin to it & push it threw might just work

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you guys don't think that placing a coin inside a plastic pipe insulating it from the soil with at least an 1 inch+ of air and 1/8" of plastic won't screw the pooch compared to a more real world test garden where the coin is in contact with the soil, packed down like out in the wild? How would you stand a coin on end in this setup?

Just pack it in the pipe like a coin roll with dirt and it will be standing on end. It won't be the same as coins that have been in the ground because of no halo effect. But you will be able to test at different depths I guess. I buried all kinds of coins at different depths in my yard and got real bored detecting them in about 2 times out. Lol. if your testing a bunch of settings on your machine I could see a use for it until you figure out what it's telling you though.

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could:

fill with dirt, water & compact

cut 2" horizontal slits at desired depths

glue coin to flat wood (yardstick?)

pound yardstick into bin in the slits you cut

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could: fill with dirt, water & compact cut 2" horizontal slits at desired depths glue coin to flat wood (yardstick?) pound yardstick into bin in the slits you cut

He's already got it built in the picture above with PVC tubes at different depth levels through the bin.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wooden dowl rods with notches cut in the ends. You put the coin, or whatever in the notch and slide in the pipe. You just simply turn the rod to make the coin flat or on edge. And i dont beleive it will be as accurate as a real-world test garden. But definately better than an air test. Plus you can place a nail or pull tab at say 4 inches then a merc dime deeper and play with it that way. You cant do this with an air test or test garden. Its just something to play with and my main thing was to see how different machines react at depth with mineralized soil. Since this is my biggest problem at most of my older sites(mineralized soil)....i have dug good targets that sounded bad just because of bad soil and depth.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this was the thickest, toughest tote i could find. Actually came with a lifetime warranty. probably voided that..lol. Bought it at lowes...once the pipes were all glued in place it really made it more solid and sturdy.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wooden dowl rods with notches cut in the ends. You put the coin, or whatever in the notch and slide in the pipe. You just simply turn the rod to make the coin flat or on edge. And i dont beleive it will be as accurate as a real-world test garden. But definately better than an air test. Plus you can place a nail or pull tab at say 4 inches then a merc dime deeper and play with it that way. You cant do this with an air test or test garden. Its just something to play with and my main thing was to see how different machines react at depth with mineralized soil. Since this is my biggest problem at most of my older sites(mineralized soil)....i have dug good targets that sounded bad just because of bad soil and depth.

I like that. Nice ideas bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread