My theory on boxes

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
After getting one of my dump coins back in a sealed box i did some thinking [duh] on why boxes may be lame. I figure that with the increase in collecting at banks the chances of silver making it to the fed has just decreased. Just the other day i nabbed some silver from a bank that was about to send them back. Little chance of those coins ever making it to a box now. Of course the bens and walkers i saw in a bag i filled up recently will hopefully make it to one of our boxes. I begged and pleaded to buy that bag but no luck.

Upvote 0
Another problem I just found out about is that Brinks in my area doesn't send half dollars to the fed, they just recycle and use what they have on hand in their warehouse.

Not surprising, nothing new. Two years ago, my banks told me that "lots of our customers are asking for halves" from the line. I've never had more than one decent score from a box of halves in over 3 years. Much better results intercepting at the front line.

Interesting theory and sadly, you are probably right! :'( However, my happy-go-lucky theory is this: coin facilities have pallets upon pallets full of coins. When boxes are ordered they pull a pallet, dump it, wrap it, and ship it. When customer coin comes in it is dumped into a new pallet that when filled goes to the back of the pallet line and the older palleted coins get shipped before the newer customer or bagged coins do. That way those pallets full of Kennedys, Franklins and Walking Libertys will be soon be making their way into our weekly box orders since customer demand is way up these days. ;D In a perfect world, this would be how it works! :tongue3:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Yes.. seems like everyone at banks are intercepting Ag. Every bank I go to.. people know about it. Dump bank tellers always ask me about it. This is what happens when Ag is high.. if only it goes down a bit and the Ag returns to the boxes. I have starting to do more pennies now.. no one knows about that. A teller asked me about silver today in my dump rolls. I replied no silver.. been skunked for a while now.. moving to pennies since they go for 30-50% over face on Ebay. Teller was like "Wow really?" No one knows about copper pennies and there's so plenty out there at least right now.

blacoint said:
SFBayArea said:
Yes.. seems like everyone at banks are intercepting Ag. Every bank I go to.. people know about it. Dump bank tellers always ask me about it. This is what happens when Ag is high.. if only it goes down a bit and the Ag returns to the boxes. I have starting to do more pennies now.. no one knows about that. A teller asked me about silver today in my dump rolls. I replied no silver.. been skunked for a while now.. moving to pennies since they go for 30-50% over face on Ebay. Teller was like "Wow really?" No one knows about copper pennies and there's so plenty out there at least right now.

if ag goes down, there is no reason for it to return to the boxes, rolls or other. Once aware or awakened, that's it, you'll hold it forever or sell it to a shop or what not, but its not going to be cashed in as it was in the past.

Also did you know penny's and nickles are illegal to melt as well as ship out of country (more than 5 rolls i believe) due to a knee jerk reaction by the gov't a couple years ago on copper...odd and great sh it. Imagine if they levied that on 40%er's...

Yes, I'm well aware of the melt ban on pennies & nickles. If you've seen me on other Copper related posts here, you'll see me discussing it. However, as I've mentioned, people will still buy copper cents on ebay but only at large quantities. God knows what they do with them. Dealers still buy war nickels right? Even though they can't be melted.

coinjim said:
Another problem I just found out about is that Brinks in my area doesn't send half dollars to the fed, they just recycle and use what they have on hand in their warehouse.

I do Brink's boxes also. What part of the country are you in?

Legend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back