Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After several days of research, testing in a controlled environment and then actual operation on Cocoa Beach, my simplified bottom line: The Deus 2 is a better detector than my Equinox 800.

Summary of my conclusions by area: (In the interest of brevity and simplicity, I did not include the detailed values/numbers/results from each of my individual testsā€¦..boring!)

Build Quality: Deus 2 by far. I donā€™t see the potential for broken coil ears, no wobbly shaft, better water proof characteristics/capability, more solidly built control box, better arm cuff and better overall design of the total unitā€”excellent compact travel capability. I do think the arm cuff stand could/should be wider to provide more stability when laying it on the ground.

Simplified use: Equinoxā€”-but only initially. Admittedly, the Deus 2 menus, locations and option functions have a steeper learning curve...but only after a day or two. I quickly became very comfortable with it.

User manual: Deus 2. Comprehensive, better layout and easily understood. An update is needed however as the manual doesnā€™t cover the Beach P and Fast 40 programs which are available in the Remote Control. Another feature I think XP could add that would help flatten the learning curve would be to provide a detailed menu tree in the user manual showing where to find each function and what role that function plays in the overall operation of the unit. I would also like to see a graphic, in spreadsheet form, that shows all the factory settings for each program...just as a quick reference which allows you to see and compare the settings of each program in hard copy form. The one they do show on page 46 omits Beach P and Fast 40.

Sensitivity at depth: Deus 2. Itā€™s simply the latest and improved/better technology. Clear and more accurate target ID at depth throughout the spectrum of target size and composition.

Depth: As we know, depth is highly dependent on many factors unrelated to the detector itself but overall and in general, the Deus 2 can detect targets at greater depths in most cases than other detectors Iā€™ve used.

Stability: Deus 2. More and better options to quiet the chatter even in challenging salt water environments where I do most of my detecting. The Salt Sensitive adjustment is a game changer for me as a beach hunter. I can leave the main sensitivity setting alone and quiet the detector with the Salt Sens option which only neutralizes the sensitivity to the mineralized salt!

Initial Cost: Equinoxā€¦. However, in my opinion, one gets what one pays for. When you add all the after market equipment to rectify the wobbly shaft, weak coil ears, fragile arm cuff, control box cover etc, the final cost of the Equinox quickly approaches that of the Deus 2.

Ergonomics; Weight and balance--Deus 2 by far! Around 2 lbs beats around 5 lbs everyday, all day.

Personalized programs: Deus 2 provides slots for 12 personal programs and are easily added.

Charging: Equinox. Single cable vs 3 pig tails and somewhat fragile coil clip is much simpler and less vulnerable to ham handed use. Having said that, I do like the totally wireless design of the Deus 2.

Under water: Deus 2 has the edge here even though it requires the manual addition of an antenna since blue tooth just doesnā€™t work in the water. But Iā€™d much rather take the time and effort of installing that wire than risk the real possibility of flooding we all know is an unfortunate chapter of the Equinox history.

Pinpointer and Headphone connectivity: Deus 2. I really like how the MI-6 pinpointer pairs with the remote and can be controlled by the remote. I also appreciate how the headphones automatically connect with the remote when the remote is powered on and off.

One final thought regarding the Deus 2ā€”the back phones. I donā€™t like them. On-the-ear design just doesnā€™t make it at the beach. Ambient noise such as wave action and the crowd over comes the back phones by a wide margin. To me, theyā€™re uncomfortable to boot. Yes, I tried the after market full cover headphones on my Deus 1 a few years ago wherein you slide the WS-6 ā€œpuckā€ onto the headphones. I just didnā€™t like that set up...I guess Iā€™m just more of a purist in that regard. So Iā€™ll be among the first on the list for XPā€™s WSA II XL over-the-ear headphones when they become available in the May-June time frame. I do like the fact that if you wanted to, you can control the Deus using just the WS-6. I much prefer using the remote however.

So what does all this mean for me? The Deus 2 will be my primary detector...but I wonā€™t be selling my Equinox 800s any time soon. The Equinox is still a very good detector...and much better since I modified it with Steve Gossā€™ outstanding shafts.

Please keep in mind, that as I always say, these thoughts of mine may be worth just as much to you as you paid for ā€˜em. In the end, itā€™s only the view from my foxholeā€¦.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice breakdown Dan....thank you !! Guess I'll have to save up my gold rings this season, and get one sooner or later....im very attracted to the waterproof capabilities compared to that of the equinox !!

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't believe the Beach P and Fast 40 programs are "official". Its almost as if they were left in there by mistake. I personally would not expect the manual to cover them. Of course its possible that I'm wrong on this point.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I don't believe the Beach P and Fast 40 programs are "official". Its almost as if they were left in there by mistake. I personally would not expect the manual to cover them. Of course its possible that I'm wrong on this point.
Youā€™re probably right. It seems as though they were an afterthought of some sort.
Thanks

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youā€™re probably right. It seems as though they were an afterthought of some sort.
Thanks
For what an air test is worth....Beach Pitch hit targets better / harder than the other Beach programs and Fast 40 was the weakest of all the preset programs....it barely gave a tone on a Morgan and no VDI either....at 1" or 6"....I found this very odd......regardless if the program is only using 40 kHz

Timijay

Mar 15, 2022
After several days of research, testing in a controlled environment and then actual operation on Cocoa Beach, my simplified bottom line: The Deus 2 is a better detector than my Equinox 800.

Summary of my conclusions by area: (In the interest of brevity and simplicity, I did not include the detailed values/numbers/results from each of my individual testsā€¦..boring!)

Build Quality: Deus 2 by far. I donā€™t see the potential for broken coil ears, no wobbly shaft, better water proof characteristics/capability, more solidly built control box, better arm cuff and better overall design of the total unitā€”excellent compact travel capability. I do think the arm cuff stand could/should be wider to provide more stability when laying it on the ground.

Simplified use: Equinoxā€”-but only initially. Admittedly, the Deus 2 menus, locations and option functions have a steeper learning curve...but only after a day or two. I quickly became very comfortable with it.

User manual: Deus 2. Comprehensive, better layout and easily understood. An update is needed however as the manual doesnā€™t cover the Beach P and Fast 40 programs which are available in the Remote Control. Another feature I think XP could add that would help flatten the learning curve would be to provide a detailed menu tree in the user manual showing where to find each function and what role that function plays in the overall operation of the unit. I would also like to see a graphic, in spreadsheet form, that shows all the factory settings for each program...just as a quick reference which allows you to see and compare the settings of each program in hard copy form. The one they do show on page 46 omits Beach P and Fast 40.

Sensitivity at depth: Deus 2. Itā€™s simply the latest and improved/better technology. Clear and more accurate target ID at depth throughout the spectrum of target size and composition.

Depth: As we know, depth is highly dependent on many factors unrelated to the detector itself but overall and in general, the Deus 2 can detect targets at greater depths in most cases than other detectors Iā€™ve used.

Stability: Deus 2. More and better options to quiet the chatter even in challenging salt water environments where I do most of my detecting. The Salt Sensitive adjustment is a game changer for me as a beach hunter. I can leave the main sensitivity setting alone and quiet the detector with the Salt Sens option which only neutralizes the sensitivity to the mineralized salt!

Initial Cost: Equinoxā€¦. However, in my opinion, one gets what one pays for. When you add all the after market equipment to rectify the wobbly shaft, weak coil ears, fragile arm cuff, control box cover etc, the final cost of the Equinox quickly approaches that of the Deus 2.

Ergonomics; Weight and balance--Deus 2 by far! Around 2 lbs beats around 5 lbs everyday, all day.

Personalized programs: Deus 2 provides slots for 12 personal programs and are easily added.

Charging: Equinox. Single cable vs 3 pig tails and somewhat fragile coil clip is much simpler and less vulnerable to ham handed use. Having said that, I do like the totally wireless design of the Deus 2.

Under water: Deus 2 has the edge here even though it requires the manual addition of an antenna since blue tooth just doesnā€™t work in the water. But Iā€™d much rather take the time and effort of installing that wire than risk the real possibility of flooding we all know is an unfortunate chapter of the Equinox history.

Pinpointer and Headphone connectivity: Deus 2. I really like how the MI-6 pinpointer pairs with the remote and can be controlled by the remote. I also appreciate how the headphones automatically connect with the remote when the remote is powered on and off.

One final thought regarding the Deus 2ā€”the back phones. I donā€™t like them. On-the-ear design just doesnā€™t make it at the beach. Ambient noise such as wave action and the crowd over comes the back phones by a wide margin. To me, theyā€™re uncomfortable to boot. Yes, I tried the after market full cover headphones on my Deus 1 a few years ago wherein you slide the WS-6 ā€œpuckā€ onto the headphones. I just didnā€™t like that set up...I guess Iā€™m just more of a purist in that regard. So Iā€™ll be among the first on the list for XPā€™s WSA II XL over-the-ear headphones when they become available in the May-June time frame. I do like the fact that if you wanted to, you can control the Deus using just the WS-6. I much prefer using the remote however.

So what does all this mean for me? The Deus 2 will be my primary detector...but I wonā€™t be selling my Equinox 800s any time soon. The Equinox is still a very good detector...and much better since I modified it with Steve Gossā€™ outstanding shafts.

Please keep in mind, that as I always say, these thoughts of mine may be worth just as much to you as you paid for ā€˜em. In the end, itā€™s only the view from my foxholeā€¦.
Deus II struggles big time hitting high conductors below iron, in fact the Deus I is better. Hopefully XP will fix this. I was suspect of this and the latest video from Harps proves it. I will be holding my Equinox too. Thanks for the report.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Deus II struggles big time hitting high conductors below iron, in fact the Deus I is better. Hopefully XP will fix this. I was suspect of this and the latest video from Harps proves it. I will be holding my Equinox too. Thanks for the report.
My testing is still on-going and I haven't tried that particular scenario yet. I'm sure others have or will.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC, Thank you for those kind words but I'm sure to do me more honor than I deserve.
Hey if its good... its good.
Any better and your gonna need an agent to broker all the offers from MD companies.

:)

I can help with that... and i am cheap... and can be paid in Rum :P

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also posted a video a few days later, explaining and showing that he had his distrimination set to high in the original test video - for those who do not want to go looking for the videos, the moral of the story is Discrimination set higher than 9 in an iron infested site will mask out good targets laying close to nails (square) - when he started lowering the discrimination down the coin started to coming through.....he felt the best results came at 5.9, the coin came through with 0 problems in the same test where it originally failed. Probably why I've always used 6.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using what program & settings?

High conductor below iron is a challenge for any detector because the radio waves magnetize the iron, creating a flux halo that masks the HC. I haven't done a comparison, but I do know that the default sensitivity (eg: power) settings on the D2 are much higher than I ever would have dared to use on the D1, so maybe that's creating a stronger magnetic field. Just a guess.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved your review, Dan. I have only been out twice with mine so far, but my experiences pretty much agree with yours so far.

(and I probably shouldn't mention this, because I certainly understood what you were saying, but I am on a crusade to fix this: A steep learning curve is a GOOD thing. It means that you learned quickly. It is referring to a chart or graph with time on the X axis and knowledge on the Y axis. If you learn something quickly, you will have a steep curve. If it takes a long time, a long, shallow curve. Pass it on.)

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Loved your review, Dan. I have only been out twice with mine so far, but my experiences pretty much agree with yours so far.

(and I probably shouldn't mention this, because I certainly understood what you were saying, but I am on a crusade to fix this: A steep learning curve is a GOOD thing. It means that you learned quickly. It is referring to a chart or graph with time on the X axis and knowledge on the Y axis. If you learn something quickly, you will have a steep curve. If it takes a long time, a long, shallow curve. Pass it on.)
Thank you for the kind words. I like your explanation of a steep learning curve. I never thought of it in those terms but I can see that you are right. šŸ˜Š

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:

Any new updates on the XPD2 now that you have had some time on it? I am finding this machine is on incredible fine tuned instrument. Really enjoying the platform.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Any new updates on the XPD2 now that you have had some time on it? I am finding this machine is on incredible fine tuned instrument. Really enjoying the platform.
As a matter of fact, I do have a few updates.
Back phones: I have completely abandoned them in favor of WSA II XL for most work and Tony Eisenhower headphones for anything where the coil is under water. The. WSA II XLs are the best wireless headphones Iā€™ve usedā€¦tone quality, clarity, noise blocking and just overall performance. Tonyā€™s have a well deserved reputation as being among the best custom made wired headphones available.
Shaft: a bit wobbly in the water. Iā€™d much prefer a pure carbon fiber design and Iā€™m working with Steve Goss on this concept. His shafts are excellent and the design heā€™s developing will be collapsible just as the stock Deus shaft. It will be a winner Iā€™m sure.
Performance: Iā€™m very pleased and impressed with the D2. So much so that I sold my CTX and my Equinox 800s have gone into retirement while my Excal II has become a museum piece! šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve developed my own set of custom programs for just about all conceivable situations. Most custom settings are a matter of personal preference as Iā€™ve found that the base programs upon which they come from are truly excellent.
Bottom line: This is the best detector Iā€™ve ever usedā€¦.period. šŸ˜€

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Colonel Dan! Sounds like you,ve got it down to the nitty gritty.Thanks for the detailed and readable reports,always a joy to read these. May the beach always have your money!:laughing7::icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread