My thoughts on the GTI 2500

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will state that my experience is based on Sweden and low mineralization.

We begin with the good stuff: (what good side the machine has)
1. Sizing is correct down to about 8" on a coins sized object
2. Deep machine when set up right
3. Sturdy strong construction
4. Big display, helps those with poor vision
5. tough coils, they take a beating
6. pinpoint is right on after some practice

Now I come into the bad stuff:
1. Balance sucks, those who think the Explorer II was heavy shouldn't even think about this one
2. The epoxy filled coils adds unnecessary weight
3. Disc is very jumpy and the 24 notches represent targets poorly when the area has many years of history.
4. Over priced in my opinion.

I think that sums up my thoughts quite well.

Also I think it is better suited as a relic machine in comparison to the DFX.
The Explorer might have an edge on it there though, it may be better then the GTI, yet to be confirmed as my relic hunting experience is limited to a few times only.

Depth wise I think the Explorer II and the GTI are close together.
But sensitivity to small targets in discrimination mode is by far superior on the DFX and the Explorer.
(GTI could gain more by increasing sens and/or using true all metal, neither is really practical at my place)

And yes I think the Explorer feels lighter, not saying it is but it certainly feels like it.

Good Hunting!
Eu

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love mine. I know there are plenty of oppinions but I wouldn't replace it for sure.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i like my 2500 but i must admit that i reach for my explorer se 90% of the time. the 2500 excels at coinshooting in the park and general detecting when i dont need to go super deep. the size feature is very useful in the park when i dont want to dig tons of cans and other non coin sized trash. for ultra depth though i go for the minelab, even though in true all metal the GTI will go deep. its just that i never really mastered the art of discriminating by ear in true all metal. :wink: i agree though, its over priced.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes in the right conditions it is a great detector, sadly the discrimination is the biggest turn off for me.
If you ask me it was made for the US mainly, while the VDI's are easier to apply/use around the world.

For coin shooting at the park (and looking for jewelry) I'd rather grab the DFX it is in my conditions by far Superior.

But yes the sizing helps a bit. But a similar effect can be done with the normal pinpoint function of many detectors.

It would excel the DFX for depth but for sure not when you have to cover ground fast or when much info from the disc is wanted. (the DFX is easier to understand as well, discrimination wise)

As a relic machine it is about as good as a Explorer is you ask me, as you have to dig most targets.
(Ask my pal who bought my old GTI, digs nails and iron all the time)

But generally seen I was surprised to see what amount of trash I had in my yard when I first got my DFX, the GTI didn't even "see" half of it in the Jewelry program so that's good. (mostly Iron)

The tones on the Explorer are far more distinct, I think the tones on the GTI are way to similar, except for the belltone which stands out very well.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread