My version of a headphone plug re-positioning

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Ace 250 but it could use a few little extras like a backlight and a phone plug at the rear of the unit instead of up front where it gets tangled or pulled out. Besides I use a Garrett rain cover and it fits great except when you have your phones plugged in.Then the velcro cant fully be mated together. The plug i used is strait and doesn't interfere with the rain cover.
iwasn't very satisfied with just winding it down the shaft so i drilled a few holes on the shaft, used a couple grommets and ran it out the back under the arm cuff. There is already a couple of holes there pre-drilled in the shaft for cuff adjustments. All thats needed was drilling a hole in the lower cuff to align with the pre-drilled holes. Pull the wire through and give yourself enough wire to solder the female plug and place it under the cuff with velcro.i spent a total of $7.00 on parts.I went to a music store to buy the wire with the male stereo plugs factory installed. The setup was called a headphone extension. there are different lengths from 3 ft to 25ft. i just got the 3ft'er. Im sure there are many ways to make this set up,this is just my version. Your imagination and skill may take you in another direction as long as end result is the same.
Another small mod. i did was to snip off two of the grips on the lower shaft bolt.....Reason you ask,well i use the sniper coil pretty much as my main coil and it bothered me that wire that goes into the coil is sooo close to the bolt and if not installed right can rub or put undo pressure on that wire. Ive experienced this on another Garrett MD i had to replace the coil. I did this to the bolt on the second coil and i havn't had a problem with it ever since. So when i got the 250 thats the first thing i did. Hope this mod. helps. This is the only coil that has this issue,all other coils have ample room. The last thing i did was install an expandable wire tube to protect the wire when hunting in the brush. It works for me.

Attachments

• ace 250 067.jpg
    ace 250 067.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 461
  • ace 250 071.jpg
    ace 250 071.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 457
  • ace 250 070.jpg
    ace 250 070.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 454
  • ace 250 069.jpg
    ace 250 069.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 447
  • ace 250 068.jpg
    ace 250 068.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 462
OP
OP
brokenarrow

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i try to do the best work i can but if it wasnt for this forum i could not have learned and shared these mod's. More to come as find need for them. a light for night hunting is next on my list of mod's. :thumbsup:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Here is a cheap light for the 250. I bought these lites on ebay for about $1.50 and the velcro and clip I had. Maybe about $3.00 total in it. Also you'll need the lites with the off/on switch. Don't forget to use green or red for a night lite. You can also stick one down on your shaft to lite up the coil.

Attachments

• DSCF1491.JPG
    DSCF1491.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF1492.JPG
    DSCF1492.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF1487.JPG
    DSCF1487.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCF1487.JPG
    DSCF1487.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCF1491.JPG
    DSCF1491.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCF1492.JPG
    DSCF1492.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCF1494.JPG
    DSCF1494.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 397

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Great job, Khouse! Brokenarrow, folks like you and Khouse help us ALL to learn, so you are part of the solution!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
brokenarrow

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Khouse for the cheap and easy answer to my night-light question and skypilot for your kind words. :thumbsup:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Cheap and easy. That's how I met my wife! Us hunters have to be thrifty! After all we'll hunt for 6 hours for $2.67 Where in the heck is our bail out money?!!! Oh, that's right - just the rich people and big business will get it. Small business and individuals are out digging zincs in the park.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
All true, Brokenarrow! :thumbsup: Khouse, Man, you crack me up!!! Aint it the everloven' truth? Now, I'm not the sharpest blade in the knife, but seems to me small business and 'tecters won't ever qualify for a bail out, cause we aint rich!? :icon_scratch: Go figure!! LOL!! Great hunting and good hunting, all! Regards, Richard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread