My very first worthy find (In my own back yard!)

precise26

Feb 13, 2008
This evening I decided to MD my back yard, for the first time in like 1 month. I usually do it for practice, and for the hopes of a good find seeing that my house is about 200 years old. Normally I check the usual spot and I have never touched the parking spots that have gravel. I decided for the first time to try it. I went to the first corner, swung with a high disc, and got a signal at the first swing. A fairly strong signal. I dig.. an dig, bout 3-5 inches deep, out pops a fairly big coin, similar to a canadian loonie, but heavier( Seeing Im in canada).I knew it was nothing modern or in circ around here. It was too dark to see so I stored it and continued. Nothing else was found. The total search was about 1 hour. I got indoors cleaned it up and it turned out to be an 1852 quebec half penny! My first find! Although the condition is poor, I am VERY happy with my find.

*** Added Cleaned pics. Coin cleaned for 1 full day, and is now soaking for tha night. Peroxide still produces lots of fizz so I expect even better results!

Attachments

• IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: Absolutely a great find keep it up. :icon_pirat:

F

Felinepeachy

WOW, that's outstanding!!

Attachments

• congratulations_graphics_a2.gif
    congratulations_graphics_a2.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • congratulations_graphics_a2.gif
    congratulations_graphics_a2.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,008
S

Scots Gaelic

Sweet! I have yet do hunt my back yard let alone the front, hmmm maybe i should after 6+ yrs, Lol!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beauty. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what luck that's great, you never have to go to far to find something good.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bet a hydrogen-peroxide treatment would clean that up nice- look in the cleaning & preservation forum

HH
-GC

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That doesn't look like it's in poor condition, just dirty! How about another picture when you've cleaned it up? Nice find!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello,
The other day I was reading another post and the gentleman was writing about working the least of obvious places. It's a bit of good advice to follow I do believe! "Slow go and close to home" is definitely a good rule this day and time. :)

Thank you for sharing, great find!
GRB

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Sometimes we tend to ignore the obvious. Some of my best finds have come from my own yard. Good job!

OP
OP
P

precise26

Feb 13, 2008
I just assumed it was sole damage, but Im takin the advice of the experts and Im giving it a peroxide bath. Its half done now, and there seems to be very little real damage so far. I will post the pics when it is done ;D

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too shabby!!! :thumbsup:

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Great find!I have been tecting 2 years,but I never did my own 1959 house thinking there won't be much to find.I got a new coil for my M6 last month and went into my backyard to practice pinpointing with when I pulled out a few wheats.Last week I gridded my back yard and pulled out 2 Mercs!I drive all over for silver and here it's sitting outside my door!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread