My visit to the antique shop

• Thread starter Coincollector22
  • Start date
C

Coincollector22

Today, I decided to visit an antique shop to see if they had any indian heads. To my suprise, there were plenty of V nickels, and Barber dimes. Best part is, they were 3 dollars each, and they were in great condition! After buying a 1899 V and a 1906 dime, I take a look at the Indians. The one in the best condition, a 1880, costed 7.50 dollars. So needless to say, I have a few new coins in my collection =D

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really say without knowing condition, for average circulated that is pretty high. Check around for coin shops, usually you can get a better deal than from general antique shops.

OP
OP
C

Coincollector22

I can tell you the grade on the Indian Head.

"Indian Head Cent 1880, VG-8"
Im assuming this is good.

The other two are in pretty good condition, the dimes a bit worn, and the nickel needs to be cleaned.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't trust someone else's opinion on grade. Even if it is marked on the holder, that doesn't mean they graded it correctly. Slabbed, or professionally graded coins are a good protection, but even they make mistakes sometimes. If it is VG, that is definitely a high price. Don't clean any collectable coins beyond a gentle rinse and pat dry do not rub, anything more and you will hurt the value dramatically. Be cautious of overly shiny coins, they may be cleaned. Not trying to be discouraging, coin collecting is a great hobby, I love it. Buy a few books and subscribe to Coin World or Numismatic News. Find a good helpful dealer, maybe join a local coin club. Even if you paid too much today, your coins will probably increase in value.

OP
OP
C

Coincollector22

Thanks, I plan on buying a few books soon. I also plan on starting a coin collecting club with a couple of friends. Also, the Indian Head is slabbed, and in my opinion, the Indian head is in real good condition, its just missing some of the liberty (barely visible)

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Make sure you get the Bluebook....

If you are happy about your find then its a good deal, but go to a coin shop next time!!! They have lots of coins that are fairly priced because they know that coin buyers go to coin shops and would have a hard time overpriceing them.

1880 Indian in G-8 is showing $2.00 :-X

OP
OP
C

Coincollector22

sad thing is, we have no coin shops where I live :'(
Its a small town :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread