my w.chesapeake bay huny hole

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
today,8 wht.s('29-'44),1 v('08)& 4 war nic.s,1 dime('13),1 qt.('29).i've now found 22 war nics. & almost 300 total old coins/other at an old place that i had been told had been hunted out.2 blank cartridges which are a ?.on a recent "diggers",they said these were used for military salutes.there was a military area at this resort during ww2,but not after.these are not .30 cal,they are .223/5.56,1st introduced in the late '50's.i don't think people hunted w/blanks!any ideas.....maybe someone just wanted to make a lot of noise?

Attachments

• DSCN1307.JPG
    DSCN1307.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
Upvote 8

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the silvers....yeah most hunted out sites still have some keepers if you go slow and do overlaps.

Regards + HH

Bill

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the silvers....yeah most hunted out sites still have some keepers if you go slow and do overlaps.

Regards + HH

Bill

No, that site was far from being ever hunted out.
I have two places I know of close to me that ARE really hunted out--actually three. I mean I am sure if they stripped of the first 6"-10" of soil you would find stuff.
But, by ordinary means yes (conventional detector).
(By "Hunted Out" I mean no old silver pieces).
Of course the bigger the park--the harder it is to hunt out.
Did you ever hunt an old decommissioned football field? You can get lost along the way real easy.

GREAT HUNT!!! :thumbsup:
I would like to get out once more this weekend and try my luck.

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blank 5.56 roundss were likely used for some more realistic training. Sometimes it's just the blanks themselves for effect or using a laser system in conjunction with the blanks. . I'm not sure what system they use now but we used to have something called MILES gear:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Integrated_Laser_Engagement_System.

It used blank rounds to activate the laser that would "hit" your opponent and activate an alarm and disable their weapon. Needed to use the "god key" to disable it and reset the system.

In order to actually fire blank rounds you need to have a BFA (blank firing adapter) attached to the barrel in order for the pressure in a blank round, less than a real round, to recycle the bolt and chamber another round. Without it you would only fire one at a time and have to manually re-charge the gun.

We frequently used them in areas where you could not fire real projectiles like simunition (paint rounds)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the awesome hunt. :occasion14: The cartridges are blanks, used for training exercises and 21 gun salutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread