My weekend adventure

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

This last weekend I enjoyed a wonderful experience! I was privileged to camp out for 4 days on a boy scout camp and metal detect the entire time! This camp is in a very historic location, and has many old homesites on it, as well as a lot of beachfront on the James River. Despite the rain and cold, it was a great trip, and I had a great time meeting many other detectorists who are very passionate about detecting.

For me, this was the first time I found a silver coin in the dirt. It was only a silver Roosevelt, but for me, it is still a first! Friday afternoon only yielded that one silver coin, but it being my first, I was still happy. I also found a bracelet, of which I am unsure of the metal. One of the best finds that day I saw was a fired civil war bullet!

Saturday was an exploration day. Most of the time was spent looking for new old sites to hunt, and then we hunted around an old home that is still standing. I did not do so well, but one member of our group scored big! He found an IH penny, a 1864 2 cent piece, 1901o barber dime, 3 other silver Roosevelt's, and a silver washington! Some of those were found at other locations than the house we were hunting. I did manage to find 3 more silver rosies that afternoon in a different field.

Sunday was a wet day. We went down to the river to see if we could find anything in the water. As soon as we got there, we realized the water was way too high for any real hunt. I turned on my detector anyway, and in 3 swings hit a huge signal! Much later, and with the help of Josh, we pulled out an old hoe!
old hoe.JPG
Defiantly a cool find, and it will someday be in a museum for the scouts! Some hunting near on cliffs by others while we were there produced a civil war infantry button! After the water adventure, we went back to the fallback location, and I found 1 more silver rosie and a silver Canadian quarter. The best find I saw on Sunday was an 1847 large cent!

Monday after packing, we all headed out in search of old homesites again, and did not do so well in that regard. While way the heck out in the woods near an old old overgrown road, I managed to find a silver band. I was shocked to find such a nice ring in such a remote place to be sure. And let me tell you - it was very remote. I have the cuts to prove it! As the hunt neared an end, another large cent was found, but I am not sure of the date.

As our time was fading, I was called over to have someone check out my Etrac. Apparently Josh, who also has one, noticed his maching would not pick up a Franklin Half. We worked on many scenarios to see what was wrong, and finally realized that the coin pattern discriminates out big silver!! Josh and I were furious that we spent 4 days hunting prime area with a silver mask on! We have fixed the issue, but right when we did, they called us all in to head out. But I will be back the next time we camp!

This was a great time, and a great learning adventure as well. I am very thankful and feel very privileged to have been involved in such a great time. My total finds were:
20 clad quarters
40 clad dimes
9 nickles
126 memorial pennies
1 silver Canadian quarter
5 silver dimes
19 wheat backs
7 neckerchief sliders
1 pocketknife
1 silver ring
1 old hoe
1 bracelet

Thanks for reading,
Anthony

Attachments

• pip1.JPG
    pip1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 545
  • pip2.JPG
    pip2.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Congratulations on your finds and a great hunt.

KG6YLL

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
very nice hunt,it is great to get to hunt and meet new friends.Congrats :thumbsup:

fortbball9

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
i'm jelous, sounds like a good four days :thumbsup: plus i bet you came away with years worth of experiance!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I'd say you did very well, Anthony, for using a new machine!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those are the kind of places I would love to swing my coil over if I ever get a chance.

Congrats to you! Remember, the less discrimination the better. Let tone/sound be the "decider" for digging potential targets. :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Captn_SE said:
I'd say you did very well, Anthony, for using a new machine!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those are the kind of places I would love to swing my coil over if I ever get a chance.

Congrats to you! Remember, the less discrimination the better. Let tone/sound be the "decider" for digging potential targets. :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
I have learned to limit the disc, and I dont think I will be using any more patterns. A small Iron mask, and tone and numbers will be my guide.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! nice finds, but I'd take an old hoe over coins, any day. ;D......NGE (T)

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sounds like a great hunt, Narthoniel!! Well, where do I begin? Congrats on the new machine! :thumbsup: Congrats on the first dug silvers! :thumbsup: Congrats on the nice ring!! :thumbsup:

Lots of other great finds there, too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Sounds like a great time, nice long hunting weekend and a haul of finds can't be beat WTG :icon_thumleft:
Glenn

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
Nice outing, but may I ask what the two diamond like items are in the last photo?

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice finds.

I've had the privlage of hunting 2 old boy scout camps with the dfx only group. We made and I saw alot of similar finds that you speak of. Those old scout camps are nice places to hunt. This yr I did well finding a barber half with the letters WBP carved into the face. Will Be Prepared. The boy scouts motto. Found a bunch of other keepers as well.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
JerDfx said:
Those are some nice finds.

I've had the privlage of hunting 2 old boy scout camps with the dfx only group. We made and I saw alot of similar finds that you speak of. Those old scout camps are nice places to hunt. This yr I did well finding a barber half with the letters WBP carved into the face. Will Be Prepared. The boy scouts motto. Found a bunch of other keepers as well.

HH Jer

That sounds like an awesome token! This camp is close to 1000 acres, and was donated to the Boy Scouts in 1958. So the only old finds were dropped by those that settled the area in years gone by. The boys did drop a ton of silver in the areas they camped in early on tho, and most of the silver was of that variety.

theloadroom said:
Nice outing, but may I ask what the two diamond like items are in the last photo?

I am really not sure. They are not diamonds, and it was suggested maybe they are flashlight tips. I cannot say for sure, as light could not enter the stone from behind. So I really don't know. I found one, and showing it to another hunter, he said, "I have one too." My wife commented that his was prettier, and he said she could have it. :dontknow: So it will just wind up in the drawer of miscellaneous finds.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the adventure and congrats on the finds! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread