my weekend project

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
making it into a pendant.

so, point up or point down? Hmmmm?

i may keep it for myself, goes EXCELLENT with my Camo shirts.

going into a step bezel, open back & simple eyelet for a clasp.

was going to make a heart with it, but once i started working on it, a heart would just take too much of the scene away from this beautiful rock.
the really dark stuff on the right with point down is completely transluscent in front of light, like Jade. its just killer.
The gemologist at the rock shop said (when i was picking up silver today) that this is a gem quality grade stone.

OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The light shines through.
IMAG2638_zps6cbf7c05.jpg

Polished
IMAG2631_zps37bbe87e.jpg

IMAG2629_zpsda94c7a3.jpg

IMAG2627_zpsae2e752b.jpg

Hard to geta nice photo with the glare.

IMAG2633_zpsed4db491.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well it was done.
managed to look right over the solder joints on the hoop i purchased and tore apart. as its stamped .925

now i have to pry open the bezel and slide the rock back out and resolder the loop without damaging the stone in any way shape or form.

Sucks.

i might just tear it apart and go with my original vision, but the leaves dont really work with the lines i dont think. and i wouldnt be able to wear it is it doesnt sell.

Upvote 0

Blaire

Greenie
Jan 27, 2014
Carroll County, Md
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love seeing another jeweler! I wish I had the supplies for cabbing! I'll have to put up some of the things I've made. Good work!

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice cab!! Looks like top grade Imperial Jasper!?! Did you use a stepped bezel or do a wire frame and add the bezel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0415.JPG DSCN0416.JPG
Here's an Ocean Jasper I cut, polished, and made into a pendant. Pierced the back from sheet silver, made a fine silver bezel and three dimensional heart. All parts hand made and the jump rings are soldered closed. Daggone it, the backs of two other necklaces came out, but not the fronts. Backs on these are hand pierced and overlaid. Well I guess it shows the metal work if not the lapidary work. The background is sterling oxidized black to make the designs stand out

Attachments

• DSCN0265.JPG
    DSCN0265.JPG
    620.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P7310036.JPG
    P7310036.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0263.JPG P7310037.JPG

Here's the fronts, variscite and owyhee jaspers that I cut and polished. I like to make pendants with finished backs when I can, really makes two pieces of jewelry in one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a couple pics of the one I did. Reminded me of the one you made. View attachment 937187 View attachment 937188 View attachment 937189 View attachment 937190
nice biggs!

did you really fold the backing plate up over the bezel edge? thats cool! nice work grabbing the sides of that rock shape!

Mine is morissonite i fell in love with it, its HARD HARD HARD though.

This is only the second pendant i have ever made from start to finish by myself.
The cab is huge and heavy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice cab!! Looks like top grade Imperial Jasper!?! Did you use a stepped bezel or do a wire frame and add the bezel?
i used a setep bezel, i originally wanted to make my own with square wire and intricate bezel material like a crown or something, i still might. but this matches my Camo shirts awsome and i would look "TOO HAPPY" wearing girlie tierra bezel stuff.

I am still just learning the soldering too, trying to transform my plumbing skills into bling bling skills.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used a setep bezel, i originally wanted to make my own with square wire and intricate bezel material like a crown or something, i still might. but this matches my Camo shirts awsome and i would look "TOO HAPPY" wearing girlie tierra bezel stuff.

I am still just learning the soldering too, trying to transform my plumbing skills into bling bling skills.

I prefer plain pure (fine) silver bezels myself, I really don't like the scalloped or fancy bezels. I use pure silver bezel wire because you can fuse the seam with no solder needed, and the pure silver bends easier around the stone than sterling does. You look like you're doing well learning the soldering.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread