My weekly newbie question.

OmgFathead

Jul 19, 2010
Cantonment, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace 250
So how do I know that the conicals and round balls I'm finding are actual CW artifacts and not just modern muzzle loading projectiles? As a hunter I have a drawer full of modern round balls and conicals ranging from .32 to .58. Are the CW projectiles a larger caliber or would they fall in the same range? Please excuse my ignorance for it seems that I have a bad case of permanent cerebral flatulence.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me say I am not comfortable answering your questions, but I do not do any relic hunting. At least I haven't for many years. I just want to say that you should never feel bad for asking questions. Everyone starts from scratch in anything they do, and there are no stupid questions. That's how one learns.

I feel certain you will get some good answers here to your question. Good luck and keep asking questions. One day you will be the one answering them. Trust me..

Dick
www.Stoutstandards.com

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"but I do not do any relic hunting".........

Wow, can't believe I wrote that...excuse my very poor grammar. Should have read "because I am not a relic hunter"

Dick
www.stoutstandards.com

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Truthfully there is no way to tell if any bullet you found was from the Civil War. People usually use the CW to date bullets of that era. These bullets are mostly of the muzzleloading variety as there were few cartridge guns used from 1861-65.

It would take too long to describe all the differences between cartridge-loaded bullets and muzzleloading bullets. Same goes for discussions involving calibers and how they developed over time. (got smaller)

Suffice to say not many of the bullets you see passed off as CW bullets ever got fired in anger. For years before and after the war people continued to use the wartime rifles and handguns.

OT

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on two things. Never hesitate to ask and use the what is it forum. I shoot modern lead muzzle loading bullets as well as sabots and whatever I have on hand. Round balls are almost impossible to id unless there is some history of the area where found to verify. Several of the guys and gals ( Breezie :angel8:) would be glad to help. Be sure to include several views and measure and weigh them if possible. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread