My Whopper Chopper before & After

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
My Whopper Chopper before & After

I was gifted this sweet artifact by a good buddy.It was mostly covered with limestone deposits.So I soaked it in vinegar for two days.(changing the vinegar out everyday)It comes off the worked part alot better then where cortex was.
before
1bdayfind011.jpg

after
100_0330.jpg

1bdayfind012.jpg

100_0329.jpg

1bdayfind013.jpg

100_0331.jpg

Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Re: My Whopper Chopper before & After

Thanks for the before and after, 'specially the before :icon_thumleft: That looks like a heavy-duty utensil.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is cool. Who would have thought all that was under there? Makes a better display fopr sure.I think Tree has been using muratic acid on some he finds that are heavily calcified (sp)?.

OP
OP
Neogeo

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

thanx gang...I don't like to mess with them too much,but that one was covered.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried the vinegar dip last night on a test piece. I only let it soak for about 5 hours. I could not tell a difference. I guess patience is a virtue. It really cleaned that wopper/chopper up! Almost all my finds have heavy mineralization. And the larger the worst. Thanks for the info/post.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

catherine1 said:
I tried the vinegar dip last night on a test piece. I only let it soak for about 5 hours. I could not tell a difference. I guess patience is a virtue. It really cleaned that wopper/chopper up! Almost all my finds have heavy mineralization. And the larger the worst. Thanks for the info/post.

It all depends on what concretions or stains you are messing with. For heavy deposits you can usually use a mixture of muriatic acid and water. Mix it really light though and do a lot of testing on spare pieces. Muriatic is used to clean concrete and does a great job, but you only want to use it as a last resort and in moderation.

Lemon juice will remove most of the toughest stains (tanin, etc). But again, use it in moderation. It also will take off other deposits if you aren't careful. Be sure to mix it with water, pure lemon juice is some tough stuff.

Greg Perino used to soak a lot of points in vinegar before examining them. I prefer to just use good old tap water. If you are wondering about a stain or deposit, try some acetone. Acetone will remove most oil based substances, but won't touch most authentic stains or deposits. If you wet a q-tip with acetone and it's removing all of your color...worry, there's a very high chance that the "stain" on it is not authentic.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010

Wow that piece really came to life and so cool no calcium here in Iowa, some creek finds I have are like tannin stained fall leaf decay maybee would the methods mentioned also work for this?

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a cool artifact - a tool that could do a few jobs... It looks like a 2 million year old Oldowan tradition tool made by Homo habilis. Are you sure it's not from Africa? :D

OP
OP
Neogeo

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

coteau said:
That's a cool artifact - a tool that could do a few jobs... It looks like a 2 million year old Oldowan tradition tool made by Homo habilis. Are you sure it's not from Africa? :D

That may be the only way to make this artifact any cooler...har

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just wondering what part of Austin are you finding all these great rocks in?

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000

Nice Chopper. :thumbsup: We find them on our property, got a bucket full of them. Not sure what to do with them but they are sure neat to collect with the other indian stuff we find.
Amazing what the vinager can do.
Happy hunting ;D
Boom De Yada

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Chopper Neo! it cleaned up really good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread