IMG_20210123_152748.jpg

Upvote 10

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must be a young guy with a new detector. A team of horses couldn't hold you back. Hardcore! I'm an old guy and I think I'll wait till spring. Gary

OP
OP
T
Jan 25, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be a young guy with a new detector. A team of horses couldn't hold you back. Hardcore! I'm an old guy and I think I'll wait till spring. Gary

I've been searching for treasures for 5 years. At the end of 2020 I bought Minelab E-Trac. Used to be Garrett ACE 250

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the finds !

The E-Trac is hands down one of the best machines ever made !
How many other detectors can tell you if a small Penny target is a Flying Eagle or a Indian or a Wheat or a Copper Lincoln or a Zinc Lincoln before you dig it !
I've only ever found one Flying Eagle Cent - I said to myself before I dug it - "If this target's a coin it's a Flying Eagle" - 6" down - I was right.

A few things I learned about Winter hunting ...

(1) - I used to do a lot of Winter hunting - the open areas freeze first - you can usually hunt in the woods year round because the decaying leaves keep the ground from freezing solid.
(2) - Grind a sharp tip on your digger every Fall - makes it a lot easier to get through the top layer of frost.
(3) - Most important of all - A Minelab repair tech told me this - It's OK to hunt in very cold weather but ...
"DO NOT bring your machine in from a very cold day and let it warm up to fast".
Wrap your detector up in a towel or put in an insulated carry case.
Keep it away from the heater in your car and if you bring it in the house keep in the coolest area you can so it warms up slowly.
If the machine warms up to fast condensation can form in the Processor and cause a lot of expensive damage !"

Good Hunting !

OP
OP
T
Jan 25, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the finds !

The E-Trac is hands down one of the best machines ever made !
How many other detectors can tell you if a small Penny target is a Flying Eagle or a Indian or a Wheat or a Copper Lincoln or a Zinc Lincoln before you dig it !
I've only ever found one Flying Eagle Cent - I said to myself before I dug it - "If this target's a coin it's a Flying Eagle" - 6" down - I was right.

A few things I learned about Winter hunting ...

(1) - I used to do a lot of Winter hunting - the open areas freeze first - you can usually hunt in the woods year round because the decaying leaves keep the ground from freezing solid.
(2) - Grind a sharp tip on your digger every Fall - makes it a lot easier to get through the top layer of frost.
(3) - Most important of all - A Minelab repair tech told me this - It's OK to hunt in very cold weather but ...
"DO NOT bring your machine in from a very cold day and let it warm up to fast".
Wrap your detector up in a towel or put in an insulated carry case.
Keep it away from the heater in your car and if you bring it in the house keep in the coolest area you can so it warms up slowly.
If the machine warms up to fast condensation can form in the Processor and cause a lot of expensive damage !"

Good Hunting !

Thank you very much!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! The only thing that's stopping me is the depth of the snow, I can't get close enough to the ground to detect much. Can you tell us more about what you found? I see roundness but that's it.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, a bit more info on the coins would be appreciated. We like lots of pics on here! 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread