My XL-1 probe came in today - My ongoing review

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Straight out of the box my first impression is "big". I'm used to a vibraprobe and using it to root around roughly in smaller holes. I'll probably have to change my style of digging to fit the XL-1.

The small cover on the tip seems "sacrificial", i'm going to have to find out what other covers can be used for this, it would be nice to have a plastic protective sheath over the first 6 inches or so of the probe, not just the very tip.

i've become curious to see if I could use an eliminator type coil on the probe box for kind of a "medium" level pinpointer. Wonder if you can daisy-chain 2 XL-1 boxes together as well. To bad the coil connection on the XLT is a screw-on, doesn't make for quick "snap and go" type connecting. (EDIT: figured out you can't change the probe over to anything else on the switch box, kind of a bummer :) )

Not sure yet if i'll go for the box-mount option, I do take-down my XLT quite often because I walk or take the bus to where i'm hunting and the clips make that a bit of a pain. Also worried if they'll hold up when I toss the broken-down detector in the bag I use. (I need a better way to carry the XLT, but a hardside case seems excessive)

One interesting benefit over the vibraprobe, I carry my wallet in my left "cargo" pocket on my pants, and the vibraprobe would constantly trip from the zipper on the wallet, keeping itself on constantly.

Back to hunting :)

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a hardshell case and gave it away. It was a pain in the a$$ and had no room for extra storage. Just the stock coil and machine. That was years ago maybe they have changed it since then. If not dont bother with it you will not like it! If I was going to get another hardshell I would get one from a photography shop so I could cut my own foam and get one a little bigger so I could have the extra storage space for another coil and other needs that arise in the field. Oh yeah the hardshell I had did not have a lock on it either.

Tom

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have noticed a drawback to the sunray, it's not as precise as the vibraprobe I was using.

The probe would trip within about 1/2" of a target, the sunray can go off within 1.5 to 2".

I find myself digging bigger holes since it's harder to determine exactly where the target is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread