My yard is not a gold mine

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm gonna have to keep my day job. My yard contains no loot. The bottom left kind of looks like a knife blade but it's pretty corroded to really tell anything. Think I'll figure out the electrolysis setup and this piece will be my first. I found a penny though so I guess that's a plus!

b1e0c5fc98ef5b5e0c042837618ecc3c.jpg

It can get frustrating trying to figure out all the signals but not so much to get discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 8

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might be surprised what shows up when you get some of the junk out of the way. Good luck

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND...you are in an area that is PRIME with Civil War hotspots...Two of my friends serve churches in Clinton and Raymond, and find stuff that I dream about with regularity. It will come, slowly, and then in great rushes. From what I see, you had a good day!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector are you using and how are you setting it up? Looks like you are in all metal or no discrimination. It takes some time to get in tune with what your detector is telling you. I started digging most everything except for iron.

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard I don't think I'm gonna have a whole lot of luck in my yard... The story is that this land the nieghborhood sits on used to be a swamp and was filled in... My house was built in 75 and I've found a 73 and 77 penny.

For the civil war relics, there was one battle a few miles from my house which I'm not sure if I can hunt it since it is a park but it's a County park so that's where the unknown comes in to play... and since my house sits on a filled in swamp I would think the majority of the relics here would be DEEP! But there are plenty of playgrounds, sports complexes, river beaches, etc and I've NEVER seen anyone detecting here so my hopes are high!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I am hearing is you have at least 40+ years of drops, plus who knows what kind of goodies were hauled in. You are just getting the top layer so far, keep going. Heck I still hunt my own yard when I get cabin fever.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello drenalin11,

Keep at it, you will begin to find things when you broaden (parks, schools...etc.) your search area. I can see how the iron sounds so good, all have tips or edges; these cause them to react with the detector field in such a way as to produce a high tone. The tone is not perfect and with time you will be able to determine between iron and coins. But be warned we all dig a lot of iron, especially us relic hunters; just part of the hobby.

GL & HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey pal, keep at it
when I first got my MD I did my yard first to learn how
later I did it again and found a honking silver ring
it just takes time

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig down to the swamp through all that fill. Just kidding but I would try....lol You have only just begun and that is exciting.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
You are new at this, the skills you have now are nothing like you will have in the future so keep hitting this area as you progress...things can change.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know where they got this fill from to put in your neighborhood or house. The signals will come to you with time... Good luck

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a few buckets to separate your metals into.brass,aluminum,lead and copper then go to your local scrap yard turn it into cash and you wont mind finding the not so good goodies because that is your battery and gas funds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all a down hill ride from here on in.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First... welcome.
Next... nice diggins! That's what we call a good start.
Lastly... keep in mind that fill dirt had to come from somewhere, usually not to far from you. I found a 14K gold ring with rubies and diamond next to a basketball court. Research shows there was never anything there until the township turned into a park. The fill dirt is likely what brought the ring under y coil.
Keep swinging and digging... it will come.

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome drenalin11 ! Looks to me like my first several hauls from my yard. Don't be discouraged. There is definitely a learning curve on learning what your machine is telling you and also how to set it up depending on what you are looking for. The journey has just begun. It gets better. I never thought I'd find a war nickel in my back yard. I had metal detected that area before while a beginner. Then 4 months later I found it 8 inches deep. We all still dig some junk. Comes with the territory! Look forward to more Posts in the future. Use the resources on the forum to learn more about your machine. It really helped me. GL and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread