Mysterious accretions

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have wondered about these for years. I found them all at one time and all in one place on a west coast beach. I have never seen any others where I hunt so they are not common where I found them. They are spherical, come in different sizes and seem to be sand accretions but when you cut into them there is nothing in the center. One curious thing about them is that they seem to have a metallic component, almost like a metal shell (the dark spots in the picture) that glow and slightly "spark" when I grind them on the wheel.

Attachments

• DSC01387.JPG
    DSC01387.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I don't have a clue. Those are very interesting. At first I thought they were clay marbles but after reading your post I don't think they are. You might get some answers if you post this in the "what is it" forum. Good luck to you. I'll watch this one to see if anyone can identify them. Thanks for posting them.

DANGLANGLEY

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the balls found along railroad tracks. Iron ore is rolled into a betonite clay to form the sphere. They are transported that way and used in iron making.

habs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread