Mysterious Rock

MeteroriteMatt

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello community - This is my first post. I have been an avid rock hound for a long time and have never come across anything like this. Does anyone know what it is? Its magnetic ie; a magnet sticks to it, not super strongly but does stick. Its way heavier then it should be and has a metallic surface on the flat sided bottom, shaped a bit like a bullet. 20170117_172208.jpg 20170117_172150.jpg 20170117_172211.jpg

Upvote 1

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea. I like strange rocks I find along the way and sometimes keep them but I am no rock guy. Could what you have be a Meteorite maybe? But by your forum name you would have known that by now probably! Haha

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an ore melt to me. Only way to tell if not a meteorite is to have it tested. I know someone who can do it, if you have an interest.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a quite a few posts of rocks asking if they were meteorites, this is the first one I saw that looks like it might well be one. Especially pic 1, and 3 look good to me. Pic 2 I assume is of the other side, which doesn't look as good. Your description of how magnetic it is, is also a good indicator.

You forgot to put something in the pic. for size reference, so about how big is it ? it looks quite big bigger than a fist.

There are other sections of the forum that might be a better place to post this. Then again you probably won't get a 100% pos. ID from just a pic.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard. We have a really good section in rocks and gems if you do not get your answer here. Hard to say on something like this with out having it in hand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you plan to have a geologist examine it? If you have a college near you with a geology dept, email them. We can't tell you by looking at a photograph. Did it come from a known strewnfield? Any history of falls in that area? Is there magnetite, ironstone in the area?

OP
OP
M

MeteroriteMatt

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have researched a little of the geological history of the area that i found it and there are suspected falls in the general area. I have compared it to hemetite and magnetite and most ores and it is very different. I have been hesitant to let to many people see it, but a friend of mine suggested it may be what he called "oriented". I do have a university near me that could examine it, and i have a geologist friend with plenty of lapidary equipment and knowledge. Here's a couple more pictures of it. 20170117_193122(1).jpg 20170117_193111.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, it is not oriented. I think it is Terrestrial, and that is why you should have it examined.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say iron meteorite possibly exposed to erosion in a stream or river. Have it examined with an expert!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
M

MeteroriteMatt

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have considered this, and honestly i dont really know. pictures alone dont tend to prove anything 100 %

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A Big nugget of ..maybe iron

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Since your name is MeteroriteMatt I'd assume that you would know a thing or three about rocks [emoji12]. Looks like a meteorite in the pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread