Mystery Button

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on a historic trail, also now commonly used for recreation.

fbynub.jpg

Looks cast, and gold plated. If anyone has a clue please chime in!

Upvote 3

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PEICES OF EIGHT REALES .I HAVE ONE MINE HAS THE GOLD GILT LOOK BUT IS SILVER WANT TO SAY PETOSI COB COIN DANG CANT REMEMBER. NEAT FIND I TOOK MINE TO A JEWELLER YEARS AGO FIRST TIME HE WANTED TO SWINDLE ME OUT OF IT I SAID NO DECIDED TO TRY AGAIN THEN SOB SAID IT WAS FAKE. TO THIS DAY NOT SURE, VANZUTPHEN

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a miniaturized reproduction 8 real, gold gilt. Probably a novelty item lost along the trail. looks like it has a zinc interior.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Infinite Dice; I believe it's a fake repro. If you look at it you will see that the base metal has leeched up into the surface metal. Also the base metal appears to be a tin type of metal, ie. lead, tin, aluminum etc. Also real gold would never turn the different shades of color you see in the photo.
The only way it could be real is if the surface coloration were to become the same UNIFORM color is if you were to clean it and the coloration became even. Second is that if real the gray matter around the edges would be removed after cleaning. Third is, WEIGH IT. !! if it is only one or two grams it's a fake ok. A real gold piece would be a lot heavier ok. I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually its not an 8 reales repro but an 8 escudos repro of some kind. The mint is Lima.

Attachments

• limacob.JPG
    limacob.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 74

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All reproductions should be 10k gold at least, too much to ask I guess :laughing7:

OP
OP
I

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Infinite Dice; I believe it's a fake repro. If you look at it you will see that the base metal has leeched up into the surface metal. Also the base metal appears to be a tin type of metal, ie. lead, tin, aluminum etc. Also real gold would never turn the different shades of color you see in the photo.
The only way it could be real is if the surface coloration were to become the same UNIFORM color is if you were to clean it and the coloration became even. Second is that if real the gray matter around the edges would be removed after cleaning. Third is, WEIGH IT. !! if it is only one or two grams it's a fake ok. A real gold piece would be a lot heavier ok. I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for the info, It does seem to have even coloration when I look at it directly it's not cleaned too well. I suppose it's still a neat find even if it's from an old costume or something.

Thanks for all the replies, I was scratching my head at this thinking it was modern BS/artsy babble, but if it's based on an old coin that's pretty neat for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions