Mystery coin

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was found last week in Hertfordshire England, I don't normally clean coin's but this was just a crusty green disk so curiosity got the better of me since I had nothing to lose.

We're trying to build a history of the land for the owner so any help with this would be appreciated. 11mm approximately in diameter. 20200217_073800.jpg 20200217_072903.jpg

Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's whats left of a 17th C Token (farthing size)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought token but was hoping for something older and more interesting, thanks for replying Crusader.[emoji106]
No worries.
These were made out of Brass, hence the expression ''its not worth a brass farthing''.
These would have a shop keepers name,trade, town, & sometimes dates. Some even had wifes initials. These are the only item you can pin down so accurately, but yours has no clues to narrow it down to even a place!

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah a pretty poor example, main reason for posting was to build a time history of the land. We've had everything from Roman to early medieval hammered's . Was hoping for some Saxon stuff to pop up but nothing as yet.

Better keep digging [emoji16]

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah a pretty poor example, main reason for posting was to build a time history of the land. We've had everything from Roman to early medieval hammered's . Was hoping for some Saxon stuff to pop up but nothing as yet.

Better keep digging [emoji16]
Saxon, generally don't over-lap Roman Sites. They picked areas away from that. Although we do have a couple of examples where this is not the case, so you may not have found the right spot yet. Also, by the Saxon period, many of these areas grow up to be where the current towns/cities are, so they are buried.

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saxon, generally don't over-lap Roman Sites. They picked areas away from that. Although we do have a couple of examples where this is not the case, so you may not have found the right spot yet. Also, by the Saxon period, many of these areas grow up to be where the current towns/cities are, so they are buried.
Never knew that, very interesting and makes sense when you think about it.
Hope your next escapade is fruitful buddy [emoji106]

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew that, very interesting and makes sense when you think about it.
Hope your next escapade is fruitful buddy [emoji106]
No worries, years of working it out.
Hopefully we will continue the streak!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's really cool great I'd Cru I would love to hunt in England some day. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread