Mystery corroded coin or token.

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently unearthed this coin/token from an old home site (probably from 1930's), but the area has been inhabited for a long time before that (Ayer, MA). It was about 6"-8" deep. It's 1 mm thick, and 28 mm (1-1/8") in diameter (noticeably bigger than a quarter). But it's pretty corroded: the two pictures below show it in direct-light.

I also took some pictures in oblique lighting and you can definitely make-out a standing male figure on one side (with one arm bent and the other leaning or holding something). The other side seems to have a few curved lines of letters, but can't make them out.

The edges are reeded and raised, like a coin

Just based on this evidence, does anyone have ideas what I am looking at?

Thanks,
Bob C. side1.jpg side2.jpg side1a.jpg side1b.jpg side2a.jpg side2b.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but the way you showed it someone should be able to I.D. it.Well done with the pics.

Upvote 0

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
th (6).jpeg ....Not sure, but looks like it can be cleaned enough to find out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1381822 ....Not sure, but looks like it can be cleaned enough to find out

Dave,
I did clean with soap and water, baking soda, and soaked in olive oil a few days. It seems like I am down to the corrosion, and I think the metal has been damaged underneath. Is there any other cleaning you suggest? Soak in WD40?

Would you try electrolysis? I worry about losing whatever detail is left.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently unearthed this coin/token from an old home site (probably from 1930's), but the area has been inhabited for a long time before that (Ayer, MA). It was about 6"-8" deep. It's 1 mm thick, and 28 mm (1-1/8") in diameter (noticeably bigger than a quarter). But it's pretty corroded: the two pictures below show it in direct-light.

I also took some pictures in oblique lighting and you can definitely make-out a standing male figure on one side (with one arm bent and the other leaning or holding something). The other side seems to have a few curved lines of letters, but can't make them out.

The edges are reeded and raised, like a coin

Just based on this evidence, does anyone have ideas what I am looking at?

Thanks,
Bob C. View attachment 1381784 View attachment 1381787 View attachment 1381785 View attachment 1381786 View attachment 1381788 View attachment 1381789

Was this done with RTI? (Reflectance Transformation Imaging) its a neat trick i use sometimes that does a similar effect

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very nicely done!! I thought that the second line of words from the bottom had a T in it. Do you use this token catalog website a lot? I have not heard of it.

it's just one of the great research tools I've found on the net, and probably the most comprehensive token database that I know of that is available for free use. I hope the owner of the site knows how much it is apreciated

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's just one of the great research tools I've found on the net, and probably the most comprehensive token database that I know of that is available for free use. I hope the owner of the site knows how much it is apreciated

It is a great site.... I've managed to get one added on there. I had no idea just how many different tokens were out there until I saw that site...

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat recovery and great ID work Jeweler guy. keep in mind everybody that it's not out of the realm of possibility to recover unattributed tokens.
The website in link welcomes new submissions, spread the knowledge.
I think this site was formerly known as richardstokendatabase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread