Mystery hunk of metal

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Today I went exploring with my new Treasure Mobile. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2012 Polaris Ranger. This thing is AWSOME when it comes to getting me off the beaten path !

I have located a few cellar holes and have been hitting them a little bit, waiting for the fall frost to kill back the weeds. I have picked out a few buttons, one Indian Head Cent and a suspender clasp in my last two hunts. Today I hunted the old road leading up to these new sites. Right in the middle of the road I was getting a 42-44 on my Minelab. I was thinking Large cent or can slaw. I almost gave up...... 8-10 inches down I pulled up this hunk of metal. I am not really sure what it is. Fresh from the ground it seemed to have a green patina like copper would have. I have dug a hunk of copper before. This is not copper. My best guess is that it weighs close to 2 pounds. I really dont think that it is lead, although I am no expert. I usually melt my lead down into bars and give them to a buddy of mine who uses them on his race car. This hunk does not "feel" the same as lead when whacked with a hammer or when a file is run accross it. Much harder than lead.

I am open to any and all suggestions on what you may think it is. Could it be silver or am I hopeing too hard?

VPR

Attachments

• 011_1_2_1.JPG
    011_1_2_1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 012_1_1.JPG
    012_1_1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 016_1_1.JPG
    016_1_1.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 017_1_1.JPG
    017_1_1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 022_1_1.JPG
    022_1_1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 1

flashmojo

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2012
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 5G -

Bounty Hunter Land Star
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this outside of an abandoned Silver mine and was told by a local jeweler that he thought it was pyrargyrite. Which is 59% silver. This being said... when it was first recovered it had a green tint making me think it was copper, but being handled and passed around it has lost the coloring.

photo (1).JPG photo.JPG

N

natchitoches

war nickels have a lot of silver in them.
mostly it a silver mix of some kind

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people keep saying sorry it's not silver??? Did I miss something??? Or did his test not reveal that it wasn't silver but instead just it wasn't 90% silver... However the test did indicate the possible presence of silver as it did react in the same way it did with a war nickel & a war nickel is 35% silver. If that big hunk you have is 35% to 40% silver then it without doubt it's a great find & has value!

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Why do people keep saying sorry it's not silver??? Did I miss something??? Or did his test not reveal that it wasn't silver but instead just it wasn't 90% silver... However the test did indicate the possible presence of silver as it did react in the same way it did with a war nickel & a war nickel is 35% silver. If that big hunk you have is 35% to 40% silver then it without doubt it's a great find & has value!

I am still not sure what the test means. Confirmed that it is not 90% silver is a correct statement. Is there a silver content..... I do not know. I am still wondering if there is a place where I could send this to be tested for WHATEVER the metal may be. I am not so much worried about the silver content or lack of but more curious as to what exactly this hunk is. If it were 100% silver it still would not be for sale. I have never sold a metal detecting find. Although a valuable item is much more fun to find :headbang:

VPR

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it may be archaic copper float. I see some green on it? If you put it in warm HP for a bit you could tell easier. If it is copper more green will come through.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

• 007_1_1.JPG
    007_1_1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 008_1_1.JPG
    008_1_1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 009_1_1.JPG
    009_1_1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 013_1_1.JPG
    013_1_1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 011_1_1.JPG
    011_1_1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 109

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
VPR,

You could possibly contact the University of Vermont or your local college (chemistry or geology departments). They will have better/more sophisticated tests, better scientific equipment, and the expertise to figure it out. I would keep a list of all the tests and results and dimensions of the hunk that way, they might not have to repeat them. One test that I did not see posted was the streak test on a plain white piece of paper. That may help identify as well. Best case scenario, the professors will hold it and tell you that it is a leavarite and worst case is that they will not look at it at all.
Hope it helps and look forward to hearing what it is.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
VPR,

You could possibly contact the University of Vermont or your local college (chemistry or geology departments). They will have better/more sophisticated tests, better scientific equipment, and the expertise to figure it out. I would keep a list of all the tests and results and dimensions of the hunk that way, they might not have to repeat them. One test that I did not see posted was the streak test on a plain white piece of paper. That may help identify as well. Best case scenario, the professors will hold it and tell you that it is a leavarite and worst case is that they will not look at it at all.
Hope it helps and look forward to hearing what it is.

My oldest daughter just started her freshman year at Lyndon state college. I will see if she will ask around there to see if maybe they could tell me anything. Thank you for the idea :thumbsup:
I am not really sure why I could not think of that..... I guess that is why she is in college not me :tongue3:

VPR

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks a lot like dross

Was slag used for building the road?
If so, this might be a chunk of dross that was accidentally thrown in with the slag
If not, it might have been a random chunk left in the dump truck that hauled the gravel for the road it was found on.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
It looks a lot like dross

Was slag used for building the road?
If so, this might be a chunk of dross that was accidentally thrown in with the slag
If not, it might have been a random chunk left in the dump truck that hauled the gravel for the road it was found on.

The hunk was found about 75 yards behind my Ranger. I dont think that any gravel or fill has ever been brought in here. If so it had to be a very long time ago.

I think that I am leaning to the "slag" of some sort idea. I am just not sure what the material was that was melted to produce the slag.

VPR

Attachments

• 003_1_1.JPG
    003_1_1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 100

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it certainly doesn't look like anyone's brought gravel or slag in... it does look like dross, but I have doubts w/o a source

Now I'm interested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions