Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope that kitty crosses my path here on chilhowee. I could use a dozen pair of slippers. :D

Kitty fur slippers sound really soft and warm. (Oops, I hope "Fence Kitty" didn't hear that. "Fence Kitty" is my cat's name.)

I hope Mike is continuing to recover despite his setback.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I have lost my unfair share of animals to bear or cougar/mountain lion. Here in Northern California we have it all. The bite marks on your dog really look like coyote. The last bear attack on one of my dogs was not pretty. He came home and I found him 4-5 days later under the house. I dug a grave for him and went to push him in and his skull was completely crushed and his throat was ripped open. He made it home though.

Cougars when they slash, there claws open up the skin like a box cutter. Bears leave deep wide tore tissue and usually grab and break bone. I havent had to deal with coyote yet, they run off when the boys start barking.

I had one bear run through the yard when the Grandchildren where 5-8 years old. They where in the back yard playing with the dogs and bouncing on the trampoline, I am sure it planned on taking one of the girls but them kids are fast and where screaming and the dogs where barking like mad. I had one a couple years later that decide he was going to eat me but I happened to have 17 rounds of .357 sig by my side. :)

I hope you solve your neighborhoods problem and it is up to responsible people to do so.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning all.... I knew I wasn't the only person to have a pet harmed by some critter lurking in the woods. But most of us don't have a venue in which to share these stories. And I enjoyed the comments and other's happenings also. I've lived here on this ridge for 20 years and my wife and I have taken in a LOT of dogs throughout the years. And during this time we've had 5-6 just come up "missing". And these dogs were probably taken by coyotes or bobcats. When my pair of Rots went missing for 3 days it was not a pretty sight when the female made it home. The vet knew exactly what made the wounds and explained how a bobcat would have taken down something their size quickly. He said the bobcat probably didn't attack but the dogs came upon it's kill and the cat wouldn't give it up.

I've been way out deep riding my ATV before and have watched a pair or more of my dogs run coyotes right by me within a few feet. This is why I'm still puzzled that the dogs didn't engage. But I do believe it was coyotes because anything else larger would have hurt/killed Mike much worse than he was. And larger animals like bear, hogs and panthers are just not here. But then there are people who will swear there are NO cougars here either including the DNR. But I personally know better. Now I realize their range in very large so maybe the one I saw was on the edge...????

Ok, for those knowledgeable ... give me the laymen A, B, C's of just a basic setup of calling in a coyote. Remember I have no fields or open area.... all wooded with ridges and ravines. I have a rabbit distress call but that's it. I am a very good hunter but have ZERO experience of calling in coyotes. I am an excellent shot also with my rifles. I even shot archery on a professional level for a few years. For those who know scores... I've shot 600 FITA rounds and 300/58-60 spot NFAA rounds at the Vegas Open's and National Championships also. So the skill level is there and it carries over to my .22 mag also. Any tips before I just start winging it?????

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tough one, because unless you are experienced in hunting them, you will probably just educate them and make them more wary. Hunting them at all can make them more wary if you don't happen to kill em and miss, or they wind you or get tipped off that something is not legit. A skilled trapper might need to come in there and put the pressure on em. Traps will take out much more than hunting ever will.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Limitool; Have you checked him for broken bones?? Symptoms sound classic for it ok. re they tracking that "creature", bear or whatever down ?? I imagine they should at least. How many others are going to get hurt ?? Next time it may be a kid. What then ?? I'd track that thing down "NOW". Anyway, Let us know ok. My Uncle has 67 dogs on his Ranch Here in Mass. ok. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Limitool; Sounds like it's time for you to do some serious hunting. "Anything" that comes that close to your house or mine and can do that to your pets is a flat out DANGER to you and yours. Next they'll be loking at your pets and family as a "food source". If they did that to your dog they will have absolutely no fear of attacking you either. Think about it ok. Keep us informed. Best wishes. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough one, because unless you are experienced in hunting them, you will probably just educate them and make them more wary. Hunting them at all can make them more wary if you don't happen to kill em and miss, or they wind you or get tipped off that something is not legit. A skilled trapper might need to come in there and put the pressure on em. Traps will take out much more than hunting ever will.

Well I totally understand "unless you are experienced in hunting them" I could educate them. And you are right... but I've got to take that 1st step. I got traps a lot of them.... would just have to prep them. But my dogs would run into them while out I'm afraid. I trapped for years in Michigan. I do have a power line about 500 yards away. I thought about doing a setup in that area and trying to catch them in or crossing the opening...??? The leaves here are about 50% down but oak leaves really hang on till late. But I can start to see from one ridge top to the other in certain spots. I put dogs in house and went out back walking along a long ridge top yesterday just looking around. The leaves here today are bone dry and loud. I was looking for a spot with a good view with me on top. I found some but can't cover everything without a partner. I did see deer and turkeys... that was fun.

True Metal.... stay tuned because I'm probably going to do exactly what you said.... but I got too try. FYI.... I did get a turkey my first time out using a call but I would have bet against this happening before leaving that day. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good... you can beat good. I know.... Luck is only going to get me one coyote... then good starts. thanks.. Brad

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
two things. I have friends here who hunt coyotes. They swear you have to use an amber or red lense on the spot lights. I saw one last week within the city limits of chattanooga that would go over a 100 pounds. Damn they are smart. I was scouting a place to c.w. detect and saw him in a field and slowed down and pulled in the entrance ...he got gone.
number two. Look at this. https://www.uu.edu/forms/cougars/sightings.cfm

Description of sighting:
my wife and i were driving on 230 in hickman county we were about two miles south of i-40 going toward nunnelly tn we made a right turn on a black top road at the rock field church of christ when a large cat crossed the road infront of us. it was a cougar or mountain lion what ever you want to call it. cat was light brown and seven foot from nose to tail weighing well over 100 lbs. i have seen cougars before and this was the largest cougar i have seen. the cat was verry fat and well feed. twra can say that there are no cougars in middle tn but we know what we saw. date of sighting tuesday may 11 20010 at 1145 am.

Last edited:

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes can get educated by even the best hunters. All it takes is for the wind to change or them to circle around and pick up your scent, or see a movement and it could be game over. Many variables here and nothing is ever set in stone. You are trying to fool something that lives, eats and sleeps in those woods. It would akin to someone trying to hunt you in your living room. I sent you a PM, btw.

You are correct Roaddust. Night hunters use amber and red, but green is also popular, esp with the southern hog guys. I personally use red filters on my kill lights.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that kitty crosses my path here on chilhowee. I could use a dozen pair of slippers. :D

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go by! :laughing7:

I meant to tell you before, Mike is a beautiful dog! Him going in head first, he may have been protecting one of the other dogs.
I am from the country, and very concerned about rabies, but only because of what I got happening around me, with the wildlife down in S Fl., we have many rabid wildlife, way more so, than in your neck of the woods.
I also have a bro-n-law, had to go through shot series. That was more of a drunken, "hey guys watch this", while feeding squirrels at Sebastian Inlet park, though. lol! Few other rabies scares, too. Thanks smokeycat.

My best friend in Monroe Ga area, has a wild cougar in their area. They have dog pens outside and across the field at the tree line, she has seen it pacing back and forth, on a few occasions. Not a black one, brown and gold color. She said they don't have coyotes or feral dog packs in her area, yet, or she has not had any come across their property, yet.
Good luck and best wishes as always.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go by! :laughing7:

LOL, I wish I'd thought of that one.

I feel really grateful that I don't live where I'd have to worry about some of the critters mentioned.

So how's Mike doing today?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool, have you set up any infra-red cameras in the area, you may be able to gain the info you need on the menace. Like they said these survive by their wits and they are good at it and learning.
I live in a city we have a lot of wooded areas. We have coyotes, the kids have been locked inside at school because of them. We have bob cats on Cape Cod! Bears are invading for easy food, and this past spring I saw 2 deer in my back yard and Its fenced. Right now we have about 10 wild turkeys running around in the neighborhood. So ya the "wild life" are coming into the human domain. If you have an encounter make sure YOU come out on the winning end! Go with your gut instinct you've lived in that area for 20 years you know it, and the areas they would go for water, shelter etc. Were there any sounds when Mike was attacked besides him and the other dogs?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panther caught on game camera near Roan Mountain, Tennessee.

This was on FB several days ago, it was shared by a friend who lives in Cleveland, TN

That is a Black(Melanistic) Jaguar....escaped "pet".....not a Mtn lion or "Panther"....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coy dog is what occurs when female coyotes and feral or house dogs mix -- the female coyote used to lure male dogs to their doom is often called a "coy dog" by many

.......you are referring to DECOY Dogs....of which I train and use(any breed of dog...I use Curs).......look them up....it also makes no difference,coyote male over domestic female or vice a versa....its still a coy dog cross

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, for those knowledgeable ... give me the laymen A, B, C's of just a basic setup of calling in a coyote. Remember
I have no fields or open area.... all wooded with ridges and ravines. I have a rabbit distress call but that's it. I am a
very good hunter but have ZERO experience of calling in coyotes. I am an excellent shot also with my rifles. I even
shot archery on a professional level for a few years. For those who know scores... I've shot 600 FITA rounds and
300/58-60 spot NFAA rounds at the Vegas Open's and National Championships also. So the skill level is there and it
carries over to my .22 mag also. Any tips before I just start winging it?????

Howdy Limitool,

Didn't mean to offend about the adolescent coyotes. In many years of
experience as a depredation trapper I've seen more damage done by
these adolescent packs than by Alpha's. It wouldn't have been just
one or two, but maybe 5-6 nearly full grown coyotes that Mike would
have had to fight off, and with that many teeth coming at him he did
well to get home with his skin.

As for calling these dogs in...well, that's something I can help with...8-)

First suggestion is leave the .22 Mag at home, and considering the cover
you'll be hunting in, I would suggest a 12 ga., full choke and 3" mags of
either BB's or #4 buckshot. Check your state's game laws, as when hunting
predators you may be allowed to remove the plug and load the magazine
to it's capacity.

Evening and early morning will be the best times to call, and pick locations
that 1) you are calling into the wind, and 2) allow you a good view of the
incoming ground. Setting up near a ravine is always good, but be sure not
to "skyline" yourself as you cross the ridge and settle into a spot to call
from.

You might do some scouting to locate perhaps a dozen locations to
call from, and you'll want them at least 1/2 mile apart.

Move into the area quietly, and then sit and wait a few minutes before
starting to use a handheld call or electronic call. While waiting, familiarize
yourself with the shrubbery and landscape all around you, as coyotes
have a way of appearing out of nowhere.

Can't teach you how to call via interwebz, and if you don't have experience
I'd suggest using an electronic call of some type. This way you can place the speaker
at some distance from yourself, have absolute volume control plus you're using a
proven calling sound. It can be as simple as a cassette player with a long speaker
cable (25'-50'), and you can buy calling sound cassette tapes off the web for just
a few bucks.

Start off with low volume, and let it run a couple minutes before shutting
it off. If no response then turn it up louder (maybe 50% power?), and let
that run a couple minutes. As you turn it off lower the volume in stages as
if an animal was losing strength. I would suggest making your stands for at
least 30 min., and alternating the quiet and semi-loud calling should bring
in any predators in the area. If you see one coming into the call, but still
too far for a shot you can lower the volume down to very, very quiet, or
if it's cat sometimes they won't come investigate until you raise their
curiosity by turning it off all together. You could also have a coyote
blasting through at full speed, so be prepared!

In tight cover like that you'll have to keep your head on a swivel, but
move slowly so that incoming animals won't notice. Having that speaker
out in front of you makes it much safer for you. If the regs allow it, hang a piece
of rabbit or some other fur with a string so that it blows in the breeze, and
tie it just above the speaker location.

In your area you could call in not only coyotes, but feral hogs, bears,
bobcat, fox and maybe a couple I haven't thought of. Be very alert,
have fun and keep an eye on your 6!

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Limitool; I'm no hunter. I live in Boston. Although I've spent many years in the woods detecting. I've even slept in the woods when detecting if I've got a good site. But I'm also not naïve either. Bottom line from me to you and Mike is that I hope you nail the *******s that did that. They are a very real threat to you and yours. God Bless. Keep us informed. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
two things. I have friends here who hunt coyotes. They swear you have to use an amber or red lense on the spot lights. I saw one last week within the city limits of chattanooga that would go over a 100 pounds. Damn they are smart. I was scouting a place to c.w. detect and saw him in a field and slowed down and pulled in the entrance ...he got gone.
number two. Look at this. https://www.uu.edu/forms/cougars/sightings.cfm

Description of sighting:
my wife and i were driving on 230 in hickman county we were about two miles south of i-40 going toward nunnelly tn we made a right turn on a black top road at the rock field church of christ when a large cat crossed the road infront of us. it was a cougar or mountain lion what ever you want to call it. cat was light brown and seven foot from nose to tail weighing well over 100 lbs. i have seen cougars before and this was the largest cougar i have seen. the cat was verry fat and well feed. twra can say that there are no cougars in middle tn but we know what we saw. date of sighting tuesday may 11 20010 at 1145 am.

YES... And here is where I HATE to conflict with other knowledgably (informed) folks. I hear authorities say there are NO mountain lions around here. I'm not saying there are lion"s" here but I'm telling you there is a lion here. I saw it.. PERIOD. I saw it and I know my animals. And I don't live but 3 miles from the area their talking about around Hwy 230. This cat "jumped" across the dirt road close to my home. The cat was about 20-30 feet in front of me. It leaped from the roadside brush and covered about 15 ft. then completed its crossing. I stopped the car.. jumped out and ran to edge of ridge. Never heard or saw it again. From nose to tail.... maybe 7+ feet, light brown/bronze in color...weight?... I really don't know or could guess weight. But this encounter happen about 5-6 hundred yards from my home.

I really do not believe a panther, cougar or bear did this to Mike (?) because any of those mentioned would of have hurt him much worse I believe...?

Mike update: He is doing fine (so says I). His really deep to the bone wounds are healing very slowly (duh). We're still giving him his drugs and I believe he'll recover fully. I'll check out the link... and thanks... Brad

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he deserves a shot of jack daniels

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread