🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mystery pewter object

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I found this mystery object quite deep in an area that has yielded finds from the colonial era through the modern day.

It consists of a top made of pewter with an axle/stick through the middle made of a copper alloy. The top consists of a pewter disc with a short protruding arm that looks like a small "pin" for lack of a better descriptor. This "pin" was attached as shown when I pulled the piece out of the ground and was reassembled for the photo. It detached when I brushed the piece off due to some disintegration of the pewter.

Some ideas I have now: perhaps it is part of some sort of drafting compass? Or an old child's toy? Any thoughts about the possible use of this object or the age would be much appreciated!

IMG_0423.jpg

Front view of the circular pewter "top". The part that I called a "pin" is in the foreground.
IMG_0425.jpg

More pictures on a white background.
IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Some close-ups. On the bottom side of the disc, some attatched material looks like disintegrated wood.
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 10

Jack873

Nov 13, 2011
Willow Grove, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks electrical to me. Judging by the first picture, it almost looks like it's was used to produce a spark. Similar to how a spark plug or a gas grill/stove igniter would work.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread