Mystery Ring

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Hey folks,

Well, the weather is finally cooperating this week so I decided to head out this morning and get a little detecting time in. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go and just kept driving around until I found an old (unused) road with a BLM trail off to the side. I got out and walked around a bit noticed a bunch of old cans that normally populate an old mining site. So I went back to my car and got the Safari and went to work for about 45 minutes.

Long story short, I found this neat but mysterious ring. It's a gold plated copper ring with no lettering on it of any kind. It does have a shield outline, some decorative lines and circles, and what appears to be a bear or beaver image to the left side inside the shield. Or could this just be a random scratch from a rock or something? I don't know. The size of the ring is so small it doesn't even fit over the first knuckle of my pinky!

The area where I found this is a couple miles from old town Shasta, so it is definitely within the vicinity of various mines. And the time frame for this ring could be anywhere between latter part of the 1800s to the 1940s. Anyone ever seen a ring like this?

HH,

Ray

Attachments

• ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 679
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 671
  • ring3.JPG
    ring3.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 668
  • ring4.JPG
    ring4.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0
badge design looks sorta like the union pacific RR sheild -design

small sized rail road chinese coolie labors * after getting free of their rail road many turned to mining (or working in mining camps as laborers ) as a means of support

hehe, I doubt it's a toe ring, savant, but I have to admit I thought about it for a second after cleaning it. :laughing7:

Interesting information there, Ivan. The crest made me think it was something along the lines of some fraternal order or something. Didn't think about a RR man but that's a possibility too. Either way, it's an old find. I just wish it had all its gold plating intact.

@ Washingtonian: hey, how have you been doing up in the land of rain, rain, rain? Get any silver yet?

Ray

Maybe it's not a ring? Possibly meant to fit around the neck of a tiny bottle or other commercial object? This is just an intuitive guess. Hope someone gives you a positive i.d. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back