Mystery Shipwreck

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
A couple months ago I got a 5 disc set entitled Shipwrecks: Graveyards of the Deep. I picked it up at Circuit city for about $12. The series follows the exploits of John Stone and the Foundation for Ocean Research. They were a Canada based group. I think the episodes were filmed in the 70's-80's. Disc #1 and 2 have a program about finding a lost Spanish galleon. They find ballast, a silver ingot, gold and silver coins, then are chased off the site by bad weather. What the video doesn't tell is where the shipwreck took place, other than in the Caribbean. Does anybody know anything about this group, what wreck they might have found or what ever happened to the treasure and artifacts???

diverj

May 1, 2005
Huntley, IL
I was given the same set from my daughter for Christmas. It is interesting to see how things were back when this was filmed. I got my open water card back in 80, but only dove in mid west lakes. It would have been nice to get in on expeditions like Stonemans back then,seems like if you found a ship it was fair game.
Jeff

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Yes, the video was very VAGUE about the location, but there seemed to be lots of coins and that jewel covered gold cross seemed like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. DO you think it was all staged? Seems to me something like that would have become as well known as "Teddy Tucker's gold cross" and that one has been pictured in countless books and articles.

Does ANYONE know more about this wreck?

Is John Stoneman still alive and active?

And is the Foundation for Ocean Research still in business?

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Since you mention Teddy Tucker's cross, was there ever a thief caught or a theory as to who stole it?

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread