Mystery token... info appreciated

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A while back I found this token near an old foundation. It is the size of a half dollar and made of aluminum. On one side it has the letters R U A (I'm assuming an abbreviation for "are you a") and a standing buffalo in profile (very similar to the image on a buffalo nickel). On the other side is a donkey in profile with the words "U BET I AM" Also on this side are two small symbols that look like a watering/oil can and a wine pitcher. I have googled and checked Ebay with no luck. I have thought that it might be political because of the donkey... but I'm really clueless. I know the foundation dates from the mid 1800's, but I'm pretty sure aluminum tokens are 20th cen. If anyone has any info, I'd be grateful.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://cgi.ebay.com/1901-Pan-Americ...19659293QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4165QQcmdZViewItem

try here

souvenir token from the 1901 Pan American Exposition that was held in Buffalo New York. The exposition was held to promote trade and social relations with our Pan American neighbors. This token is aluminum, 1 3/8 inch in diameter and in circulated condition (see photos). On the obverse there is a Buffalo in the center with the letters R U A above which stands for ARE YOU A BUFFALO.

Attachments

• 79_2.jpg
    79_2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 357
OP
OP
D

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wow... that's it all right! I live about an hour south of buffalo, so that makes sense. And the cool historical part is that President McKinley was assassinated that the 1901 Buffalo Pan AM Expo... Thank you so much for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread