myth of the 90 degree turn to dig or not to dig??????

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been passed on the forums that if you get a signal and turn 90 degrees on it and it turns to iron or junk that you should walk off and leave it.. Is this true??? Well heres a video to deal with another myth handed to us by some.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting vid. Thanks!

Chub

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This test can be easily done by anyone and it wont take but a few minutes for some to figure out OH NO I have been using this to decide to dig or not dig..

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post.
Detecting Absolutes should be considered to be Detecting Suggestions. If you are unsure, dig it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do actually dig pretty much all of these signals. I have used the 90 degree method but usually with a signal that is choppy on the first pass. If I hear a nice repeatable tone on the initial pass I generally dont do the 90 degree...I just pinpoint and dig.

Was just having a look in the Fisher manual. They dont mention the 90 degree, they mention raising the coil. Do other manufacturers recommend the 90 turn? Where did the the 90 degree technique begin?

I have seen pretty much everyone recommend and use it.

Reminds me of the myth " dont swim for 20minutes after eating"... anyone ever seen or heard of a drowning caused by eating then swimming... (we all know food takes hours to digest !)

I guess it boils down to the 90 degree method has merit but is not always 100%.

Chub

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll often change angles and settings on an interesting signal just for the fun of trying to figure it out before I dig. Most of the times, it would have been faster for me to just dig it in the first place. This is a trap that is especially easy to fall into with a CTX and other highly adjustable machines, but then again I am in it for the enjoyment.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just another tool.

The best one is the one that sits between your shoulders and how well its knows what your machine is saying.
Sometimes its just a gut feeling you should dig it, even though its not a good reading.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll often change angles and settings on an interesting signal just for the fun of trying to figure it out before I dig. Most of the times, it would have been faster for me to just dig it in the first place. This is a trap that is especially easy to fall into with a CTX and other highly adjustable machines, but then again I am in it for the enjoyment.

I come at it from a differrent perspective, im relic hunting and have a partner and we blizt a site for the first its ever been hit sometimes , so im digging and hes digging and it reminds me of a old Jones song THE RACE IS ON so im making very quick decision dig or dont dig alot of times. Trying to play the odds of scoring that keeper relic. I know coin shooters are more picky , as with any tool its good to know it limitations or you might push it to far and it might slip and you might wind up busting your knuckles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread