OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only got in 1dig after work this week. maybe 1 1/2 hrs. 20170518_211324.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One dig is way better than none especially when it produced Color!..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week got out twice afterwork. 2-2hr, almost identical digs. Safe to say the gold is evenly spread and consistent in this area. just hope the pay streak never ends lol. 20170529_104318.jpg 20170525_204354.jpg

Last edited:

mamich

Mar 6, 2016
Las Cruces, NM
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's crazy consistency, very nice, glad you're able to get out and having some fun. Someday I would like to play in the water, for now it's just dust and air.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I met up with SchoolOfHardknocks for a little Camping on the river and gold mining.
I arrived at the campsite about 8am after hanging out for a bit and meeting his mother and young son we all hiked up the river a little ways and spent the day enjoying the sun and getting a little gold.

I had a little trouble finding color but eventually found a little creviceing and mossing to be effective.

The far side of the river canyon wall was amazingly steep. I kept looking up at it wondering what may be hiding under the dense vegetation. I saw a Tailing slide about 1/3 up and thought. How? Even with rope and climbing gear it looked impossible to prospect.

Made it back to camp and slept well listening to the river puts you asleep fast!. The next day it was just the 2 of us. We attempted to go further upstream but since the water was so high the Billy goat trail that got you past the last section of bedrock was not to my like ing. to narrow and steep with a straight death drop if a mistake were made so I decided to go back to where we had been.

All in all a great trip with great people and some good gold! The only regret was only bringing one pair of socks! lol. Also forgot my cell charger so only got 1 pic taken of the sun about to crest the ridge on Sunday Morning from the campsite.

Edit:
haha I forgot the best moment of the trip. Courtney was hitting gold right off the jump sluicing and had found a nice picker definetly a good pan clinker and somehow he got distracted on the cleanout and dropped it. I joking said to him that was inexcusable, thinking there is no way in hell he finds it. I kinda felt bad for rubbing it in but then after after a 10 min search, he freaking finds it! luckily it was on the bedrock. So glad he found it, it was a very nice piece. I should have had more faith this is the same guy who spotted a rice grain shapped picker on bedrock last year while we were hiking and rock hoping at a fast clip. he just stops bends down and picks it out with his knife. quite impressive. Eagle eye! 20170527_090859.jpg 20170604_192824.jpg 20170529_133731.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice flake you got there!! Hope to see more as the season progresses.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to Dave. I haven't had much luck with bigger pieces yet my biggest is a pathetic .12 lol

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@mytimetoshine I've been loving your thread! Keep it up man. Not to mention you're really pulling in a lot of gold as a recreational prospector. You've got some skill and I can tell you know how to read your area well. I wish I could get out there and do some digging with ya! Most of my family lives in Sacramento so maybe one day I'll be around the area
:occasion14:

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@mytimetoshine I've been loving your thread! Keep it up man. Not to mention you're really pulling in a lot of gold as a recreational prospector. You've got some skill and I can tell you know how to read your area well. I wish I could get out there and do some digging with ya! Most of my family lives in Sacramento so maybe one day I'll be around the area
:occasion14:
Thanks for the kind words Shofs. That would be awesome if you came out to California. Might be time to pay the family a "visit"...and then straight bail for the gold fields on them haha. Glad your enjoying the journal.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, didn't you know there is an unwritten rule that miners always use a dime for those size comparison shots? Besides, who carries tarnished pennies anymore?
Now that I'm back in the groove, I have some catching up to do I see. Nice gold Buddy.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, didn't you know there is an unwritten rule that miners always use a dime for those size comparison shots? Besides, who carries tarnished pennies anymore?
Now that I'm back in the groove, I have some catching up to do I see. Nice gold Buddy.
Mike that's not an ordinary tarnished penny. It's a Copper(Bronze) Cent. Not to be confused with the worthless Zinc ones they make now.
But in order to please the audience I will use a dime for the next pan shot. Perhaps I will even use a fancy Silver dime. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out once last week after work. Another 2hrs, another 1/4 gram. I took a little video of the dig so you can see what I'm doing

https://youtu.be/JJ0na3j8bII 20170608_194225.jpg

Last edited:

mamich

Mar 6, 2016
Las Cruces, NM
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another nice pile of gold MTTS, you've got a great pattern going on with your after work digs. Keep them coming, good luck

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pile keeps on growing! Nice haul for a couple of hours!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chunky looking too!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I didn't get out to dig after work last week. But better than that, I took Wednesday as a vacation day all to my self. The perfect day consisted of sleeping in till 9 oclock. Leisurely getting ready while eating breakfast and drinking coffee.

Hit the dig for about 5hrs, came home and watched my Warriors destroy the Cavaliers while enjoying ice cold adult beverages. If only every day were this way! Got some good gold but the hole I've been digging is getting so large and deep it's becoming less productive as each shovel full take a little longer. Plus the flow is not enough now in that area for my prospector. Going to have to switch techniques.

Mike, I got yer dime! 20170610_190514.jpg 20170610_190836.jpg 20170610_190543.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday I went out for another 5hr dig. Maybe a little less. I set up my prospector and the trap just wouldn't fluidize. Flows were way down, so after 15 minutes I pulled out and started working a different spot with just a gold pan. This spot is a little richer but panning for fines just isn't as much fun as sluicing!

So I decided that I would classify to 1/8 since everything I've ever seen from this spot is smaller. Worked ok but as I was leaving, I classified the last few pans to 1/2 and wasn't losing much if anything just harder to get it to were you can see the gold so gotta check every once in a while that you don't wander off the pay streak.

More mercury in this stuff and lots or iron stained pieces. Don't throw out the black gold! 20170617_184553.jpg 20170617_184411.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't gotten out for 2 weeks. I'm going crazy! Today was the last day I have my daughter for summer break. Now it's just back to every other weekend. I should be getting out more often now weather permitting.

During the break I have been slowly working these black sands one teaspoon at a time. It took HOURS!... I ended up recovering .14 out of it. So I orginally got 1.10g out of the sands on my laminate table. Obviously it needs tweaking, the loss rate ended up being 13% off the table. I'll get that dialed in a bit better. Still more efficient than trying to clean each pan at the river...

I saw this little copper pan on Ebay and had to have it. Gold doesn't show well on copper though..

Copper pans were for amalgamating, if I recall correctly. I think gold shows better in green or blue pans. As Ducky pointed out in another thread, if you consider the color wheel, it should be blue. Some people's eyes see it better with green, but blue is good also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread