Nail and Spike Found in Sand

clayton

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a nail and a spike buried in the sand near an area where old wooden ships anchored about 150 years ago and also about 400 years ago. The nail is about 6 inches long and the spike about 10 inches. Any guesses as to the age of the pictured items would be appreciated.

DSC02197.JPG DSC02194.JPG DSC02193.JPG DSC02198.JPG

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Being iron, might be new. Most older ships nails and spike are bronze. Yes, some were iron, but they figured out very quickly that they wouldnt work. Clean off most of the rust to see what is there.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ships spikes from 400 years ago didnt have heads on them like todays nails.They look like todays cut nails for concrete.They were made of bronze or iron and in really rare cases,silver.

OP
OP
C

clayton

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I got overly excited when I saw the bent nail which I heard that it was common to do in the galleon ship construction. Thanks for the information. I will clean some rust off just to see what remains.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Clayton, do keep looking in that area, there could very well be some other kind of artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread