Nailed to the Cross and A BIG SCREEN TV! More Fairgrounds Finds

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
WhewwwwWEEEEEE! What a scorcher it was here today in Beautiful Central Kentucky! Bright Sunny HOT and HUMID! With the thermometers topping out well into the 90's and the relative humidity in the mid to upper 80% region... ICK! Ok.. so it was more like a sauna than a scorcher, and it would have been damn near unbearable had it not been for the constant breeze blowing this afternoon. A breeze that portent-ed the coming Sever Weather that was predicted and that the National Weather Service put out a "Watch" for, for my neck of the woods. And still.. I went detecting!
With a wary eye on the horizon (from time to time) and half listening for the first rumbles of any distant thunder, I drove a few miles from my home to a local park that hosts my county's annual fair. My wife and I had actually attended the fair this year, on Saturday night. We were both terribly disappointed though, it just wasn't anything like the fairs of yesteryear. No, thanks to the burgeoning immigrant population here in central Kentucky, even the county fairs are taking on a distinctly "South Of The Border" personality if you will. I'm no racist or even a bigot by any stretch of the imagination.. but it's disturbing that you feel as if you are foreigner in your own back yard because you can't understand the language being spoken around you. Whatever happened to funnel cakes and corndogs? Itallian Sausages and Philly Cheese Steaks? Kettle Corn and Cotton Candy?... They've all been replaces with "fair foods" of a differently cultural heritage.. tacos, burritos, churros... dozens of other snacks, treats and fiesta foods that I can't spell or pronounce. I'm not saying that's bad, just disturbing in that it wasn't anything like I was expecting.. or remembered. <shrug> Anyway, after making a round of the fair, being hawked at by the game booth attendants, blasted by over amplified Fiesta Musica, jostled about by the crowds of fiesta goers..er.. fair goers... and at last finding one concession trailer that still offered CORN DOGS!!! along with their chimichongas and taquitos... my wife and I took our leave. *sigh*
That was Saturday. Sunday was spent working on the Honey-Do list.. but Today, a day off, I got to indulge in some detecting. Even as sweltering a day as it was I still enjoyed getting out for a while. The Fair was over, the crowds were all gone, the last of the carnival operators were driving off with their booths or rides in tow. The fairgrounds "proper" were locked up behind closed gates, but that I knew would be the case, no, I was there to detect the Parking Lot! The parking lot is the surrounding acres of grass hillsides surrounding the fairgrounds. The Bluegrass Lions Club, who host the county fair, always lay out rows of parking areas with posts and markers and strings of flags to keep people in nice neat orderly rows.. rows after rows after rows. After about 10 days of this constant traffic the grass where the cars park is still nice and green, and the grass that was driven on for days is rather dead dry and ground into dust and straw. The flags and posts are all gone, the cars are all gone, but the layout is easily discernable. So as the carnies were pulling out, I was pulling on my gear and setting out to swing some detector.
Well I thought the cars were all gone... Geez! I must have found half a car scattered over three or four rows of parking area.. wasn't entirely sure what kind of car it was till I finally found a nameplate.. It was an Malibu! or at least one of the cars was.

7-21-08 014scrap.jpg

Oh yeah, there were bottle caps, pull tabs, all kinds of scrap metal to be found, and besides the pulltabs, most of it was DUG up. I didn't take any pictures of the garbage bag of cans and can slaw I picked up and dropped in the nearest trash can. I found a smiley face looking up at me at one point.. and my detector going nuts! A cheap metal yo-yo, thought it was a Wal-Mart sticker at first! Some snaps and buttons, a Key Ring Caribener, A WHOLE CAR!!!

7-21-08 010stuff.jpg

Ok, so it's a "toy" car.. but it's still a VET! Even if it's seen better days.

7-21-08 011vet.jpg

And one very, VERY small "Big Screen TV" Got to be the SMALLEST "Big Screen TV" I've ever seen. Stop on a dime anyone?

7-21-08 012tv.jpg 7-21-08 013tv2.jpg

Then there was the "bling" Some little princess lost her tiara.. it must have gotten stepped on or driven over because it was rather flattened under the tuft of grass that I moved aside when I found it. I found one lone Hoop earring, a couple of hair clasps, a beaded name bracelet, I'm guessing the girl's name was "Ashley" for some reason.<shrug> and a cross made from or at least to look like it was made from old fashioned cut nails. A little "Gothic" if you ask me, but it was still a cool find I though.

7-21-08 007bling.jpg

I found yet another "Sketchers Girl" heart pendant.. and a rather nicer "heart pendant" with a stone in it. While the "golden heart" is rather heavy for its size I don't think it's real gold, or even a real stone for that matter *sigh* that WOULD have been nice. <grin>

7-21-08 007hearts.jpg

Here's a closer look at that Cross..

7-21-08 008cross.jpg

I found a pocket full of plastic "code caps" from soda bottles scattered around the grounds, I always pick them up and save them for my wife. She enjoys entering the codes in at the various websites.. even gets some cool stuff for them from time to time. I'll post a picture of her most recent "prize" in a response to this very post.
Besides the soda caps there were disposable lighters (only took the picture of this one <grin>) Batteries, toys.. Plastic frog anyone?

7-21-08 006plastic.jpg

Oh I found coins too.. very few of which were on the surface. I had expected to find MOST of the coins on the surface or at least above the grass roots, but that was not the case. Most coins were under the grass in the soil, so they had been there for some time. Of the coins there were but one Wheat penny, a '55 D, one Canadian penny, a '63 (good year!).. and one very very odd coin.. French?

7-21-08 004empFace.jpg
I thought it was a foreign coin.. till I turned it over.. it's actually a button. <rolling eyes>

7-21-08 005empBack.jpg

Well there were quite a few other coins.. but they were all domestic and clad.. but spendable nonetheless. More than paid for my gas today, or would have, if it didn't all go towards the vacation fund. <grin> I did utilize one of the plastic soda caps though..a "buy one get one free" cap. Cool. Here's the day's finds and contribution to the vacation fund.. all $6.49 of it... not counting the wheaty or Canadian.

7-21-08 001allcoin.jpg

Not a bad afternoon at all... but with the skies darkening and the breeze definitely cooling off with and carrying the scent of rain, if not the rumble of thunder yet (thankfully) I headed to the house. I only covered about four rows of the parking area, out of maybe 24 or more. I'll have more opportunity to detect that park in the future, hopefully before the grass grows back though. And there's not a storm in the offing!

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Oh.. I've got some more pictures to be posted in a "response" to this post... they wouldn't all fit, and my wife thought I should show off my "detector's tan" (think "Farmer's tan).. <grin>

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Yeah yeah yeah... we've all heard of the infamous "Farmer's tan".. some of us even sport one. <blushing> But anyone of you probably has the same affliction as I've developed this summer, at least those of you who get out and detect in the sunshine..wearing shorts and t-shirts.. and knee pads and headphones..
My wife pointed out to me today that I've still got my knee pads on.. even when they've been taken off. I've developed tan lines where my knee pads are worn.. and "panda ears" where I have my headphones on.. I didn't take any pictures of my pale white.. somewhat hairy.. ears.. but I did snap of few of my be-whited knees.. hairy or not.

7-21-08 016knee1.jpg 7-21-08 017knees2.jpg 7-21-08 018knees3.jpg

How bout them gams??? <grin>

Of course my four legged spoiled child had to get up close to the camera to see what the fuss was all about.. "Whatcha doin' there dad?"

7-21-08 028inky4.jpg 7-21-08 022inky1.jpg 7-21-08 024inky3.jpg 7-21-08 023inky2.jpg

Oh.. and as mentioned in the previous post.. here is a picture of the HUGE (30 inch) Bear that my wife got for plugging in codes off of found "code caps" from soda bottles. The caps that I pick up and bring home for her to "play" with on the computer. She Likes her Bear... (my wife that is.. the cat could care less).

7-21-08 025BearRewards.jpg

Kind of nice,... kind of like being rewarded for picking up the trash that other people just drop wherever they choose.. <shrug>

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible :o and that's just the knees :D
but seriously, another tactical victory for you Frodov. I always enjoy your treasure finding tales and the excellent pics.
Have you tried separating the 'cross-bars' on that cross? I think they come apart.
HH, Mike

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
Nice finds...I wore long socks out detecting in summer once, sported a high tide mark for quite a while :tongue3:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beans Frodov! Your stories are the best. The wife loves the cat.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
That's the first I've heard about code caps and possible loot/prizes!
Thanks for the info!

Great pics, great story, great; well not so great finds but that cross pendant is amazing!
It all can't be gold!

GRB

toolman61

May 31, 2008
nice finds my man. For some strange reason I think that 1 day your gonna have a really big find (payday). Maybe its the way u approach life at a happy go lucky pace. Congrats on your finds and HH tom

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Frodov, get some of that self tanning stuff and nobody will know you have farmers gams....lol
Your finds look a lot like mine (I do fairgrounds). Those little girls sure loose a lot of hair bows don't they?
I enjoyed your story. That cross is cool!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
trikikiwi said:
Incredible :o and that's just the knees :D
but seriously, another tactical victory for you Frodov. I always enjoy your treasure finding tales and the excellent pics.
Have you tried separating the 'cross-bars' on that cross? I think they come apart.
HH, Mike

Actually, Mike, I did look at that cross again after reading your response. While indeed it looks as if they should slide apart, they are quite securely bonded together with a bit of solder and in two spots what looks to be either an epoxy or super glue. I guess that perhaps they did at one time come apart, but perhaps, too, they came apart all too readily and someone took measure to "keep it together" so to speak. <smile>

Thanks for reading!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ozzygold said:
Nice finds...I wore long socks out detecting in summer once, sported a high tide mark for quite a while :tongue3:

Well besides the now quite prominent Shadow Knee Pads (tan lines) and the Panda Ears (from the earphones) I do sport permanent socks.. albeit from crew socks (ankle height).. and permanent "boxer shorts" from wearing my shorts in the sun.. and the infamous "farmer's tan"... tanned neck and arms with the distinct demarcation lines of my usual t-shirts that I wear. <grin> My wife says I glow in the dark.. bright white chest and torso and feet... looks like a very dark skinned person with white t-shirt, shorts and socks on in the dark. <laughing>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
TimC (AL) said:
Cool beans Frodov! Your stories are the best. The wife loves the cat.

That cat is spoiled rotten. Originally she was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my wife, the shelter we adopted her from had even named her "Noel" (Christmas.. Noel.. ??) Anyway.. My wife had never owned a cat before and found out that she's really not such a cat person as she thought she would be. The cat on the other hand, found one sucker in the family.. ME! She took right up with me and now she's my shadow whenever I'm in the house. She follows me around from room to room to "see what I'm doing" and to comment on whatever that might be... or give pointers or whatever it is she's "talking" about to me. <grin> Of course I show her a lot of attention, affection and treats twice a day (first thing in the morning and when I get home from work.. like clockwork.. and she can tell time! I can never forget or she'll remind me.)
We renamed her "Inky" partly because of her all black coat (save for one minute thin white patch on her belly that was shaved off when we got her because of spaying). .. and Too, Partly because it's short for "Inky Dinky Kitty Cat".. she was tiny.. a runt of the litter if there ever was one. Of course like any cat she doesn't respond to her name so much as the sound of our voices.. or the tone. She'll answer to just about anything.. "Wont you little dummy.. yessss you're so sweet.. pumpkin head.. that's my puss.." <laughing> As I type this she's trying to get my attention by sitting between me and the keyboard.. between my arms. It's almost as if she's reading what I type as she follows the cursor across the screen as I type. <laughing>
Like I said..she's spoiled rotten.. and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
GoldenRoyBoy said:
That's the first I've heard about code caps and possible loot/prizes!
Thanks for the info!

Great pics, great story, great; well not so great finds but that cross pendant is amazing!
It all can't be gold!

GRB

All gold??? I'd take just a LITTLE gold now and then! Have you seen the prices for gold lately?? <swooning> I'd like to find just an ounce.. or even a half an ounce of some of that yellow stuff.. <grin> that would pay for a lot of batteries, or gas.. or go a long way towards (and beyond) the vacation fund! Those folks who live near or on the beach and get to detect the surf regularly are cleaning up!!!! *sigh* I'll keep looking though!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
toolman61 said:
nice finds my man. For some strange reason I think that 1 day your gonna have a really big find (payday). Maybe its the way u approach life at a happy go lucky pace. Congrats on your finds and HH tom

Well thanks for the encouragement there toolman! I have a good time, even if the weather is not optimal most of the time. I didn't take up this hobby to find a big "pay day" as it were, but it sure does pay a person back for any effort put forth doesn't it? I like to think of it as another form of fishing.. and it's called "Fishing" not "catching". Detecting is a lot like that. Just "detecting" anything is exciting in and of itself.. finding treasures is just a bonus.. That or I'm just terribly easily amused. <rolling eyes> <grin>

Gotta love a hobby that pretty much pays for itself!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Pepper2004 said:
Frodov, get some of that self tanning stuff and nobody will know you have farmers gams....lol
Your finds look a lot like mine (I do fairgrounds). Those little girls sure loose a lot of hair bows don't they?
I enjoyed your story. That cross is cool!

Pepper! That's got to be the best Idea I've heard YET! Masking the tanlines with instant tan!.. as long as it doesn't turn bright orange or anything strange like that! <laughing> I'd still look funny in a bathing suit at the beach. <laughing>
Oh Lordy! Hair Bows?? The bows and clasps I found at the fairgrounds are next to none compared to what I find at park and school playgrounds and "Tot-Lots". For a month I saved everyone I found.. I had MORE than a gallon ziplock baggie full of them. You name it, everything from butterflies, to flowers of all kinds, to animals, to stars.. to "dice"??? Anyway, what do you do with them? I mean Sure, you could boil them to "sanitize" them but who would want a "used" hair clasp? <raised eyebrow> Nah.. I just ended up pitching them into the recycling bin, they'll get ground up, melted down and put into some other form.. like bleach bottles or detergent bottles or garbage pails.. or whatever. I still pick them up, but unless they are photo worthy, they generally get tossed into the recycling bin once I get home. <grin> same with the metal variety and those bungee/ball torture devices that some girls wear in their hair.. I remember a girl sitting behind me many moons ago in grade school "snapping" me in the back with one of those rubber band bound plastic marble machinations and it HURT LIKE HELL! <laughing> And to think she was just trying to get me to notice her.. Oh I NOTICED her alright! <laughing>

My wife calls me a packrat for bringing all that useless stuff home.. even if I recycle it. She just doesn't get it sometimes.. like picking up empty soda bottles and cans and disposing of them properly. I may not be my brother's keeper, but I guess I was a BoyScout for too long, it's just not in me to leave trash laying around if it's just a simple matter of picking it up and walking a few feet or yards to a trash can. Know what I mean? All part of the hobby I think. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. <shrug>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread