nails

zags08

May 31, 2009
Hi all! I am new to the site and to the hobby, now that that's out of the way I can begin. This weekend I went on my first hunt. I am located in Central Long island. I hunted hiking and biking paths in a local tract of woods by my house. My area is known for both native american and colonial history. along the path I found countless nails. Does anyone know what that could led to? Is it still worth hunting this site? Any info would be great.
Best,
Mike

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Welcome, Mike - Are you finding square nails or the more current round ones? If square, could be
the site of a colonial village or something. I would keep on it `til you find something cool! Maybe do some online research or with the local libraries and historical societies for old maps and info on the area. Keep us posted!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Nails didn't grow there.
Although sometimes I wonder.

apparently Everyone Carried Nails and
Dropped them along their Path to find
their way Back :tongue3:

seriously Though
If they Dropped Nails they may
have dropped Valuables.

Good Luck !

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Mike.

If you could find out if a lot of "fill" material was brought in to build those pathways, it may have been brought in from a dump site where "cut" material is piled up for use in other places.
If that is not probable, then range out a little on both sides of the paths and look for indications of old foundations. Even an old barn site would be worth finding. And as Mojo asked; are there flat nails being found? If so, then by all means look into the areas on both sides of the trail. Back in the day, nails were very expensive because they were handmade and if a building was torn down, all nails were recovered for use in other buildings. Looking for the source of those flat nails would be worth doing. Just think of the old farm dumpsite you might find. In your part of the country, that could be very rewarding; although, any recovery operations might have to be done by clandestined means. :icon_pirat:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't you have a discriminator? Why don't you just disc. them out?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted nails often have a "halo" effect. The iron oxide or rust will cause even discriminated iron to light up often. But it might help some. Monty

OP
OP
zags08

zags08

May 31, 2009
what is a discriminator? I am very new to this hobby. My detector is a discovery 1100 from Radio Shack.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
On your discovery 1100, it's called "target identification". That's a fancy word for your "discrimination" function. You can knock out nails if you want. Either by tone alone (just ignore that reading), or perhaps it has a control to edit out the unwanted targets? Be aware though, that you will have a masking effect. Like ...... if a nail were covering a coin, the machine will tend to see the top target, and not see "through" it to your desired target. Some machines are better at averaging targets, to give you a better chance in junky sites. Not sure how your machine is in that regards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread