luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted this before, but here it is again. IMHO it is very worthwhile for a beginner to start with a beep and dig detector, even a single tone model which is what most Tesoros are. Once, you've put in enough hours on the machine along with learning to thumb the discrimination, you'll be able to predict whether a target is junk or likely a coin. The difference in sound is very subtle, but it's there. Once that is learned, adding a machine with a screen can be helpful as it adds more information to the decision to dig or not. The main problem with screens is due to the fact that it's a machine's guess, good targets that might be retrieved other wise may be passed up due to TOO MUCH RELIANCE on the screen when it is in error. I'm NOT saying a screen is of no use, in fact 4 of my detectors have screens. They have their place, but are not the end all to detecting IMO.
luvsdux

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted this before, but here it is again. IMHO it is very worthwhile for a beginner to start with a beep and dig detector, even a single tone model which is what most Tesoros are. Once, you've put in enough hours on the machine along with learning to thumb the discrimination, you'll be able to predict whether a target is junk or likely a coin. The difference in sound is very subtle, but it's there. Once that is learned, adding a machine with a screen can be helpful as it adds more information to the decision to dig or not. The main problem with screens is due to the fact that it's a machine's guess, good targets that might be retrieved other wise may be passed up due to TOO MUCH RELIANCE on the screen when it is in error. I'm NOT saying a screen is of no use, in fact 4 of my detectors have screens. They have their place, but are not the end all to detecting IMO.
luvsdux

I been detecting a long time mine have been with screens & without, that's just how u choose to learn what works for u may not for another some beginners have screens but learn tones just as much doesn't make them bad cuz they learned with a screen machine. I mean anyone can give advice to anyone but when it comes down to it no one knows each other how they detect either, so to say oh ud b all beginners r better off with beep is plain stupid when its really a lot who say that r tesoro fans & want everyone to use one cuz they think there the greatest detector nothings better, well that's all opinion

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been detecting a long time mine have been with screens & without, that's just how u choose to learn what works for u may not for another some beginners have screens but learn tones just as much doesn't make them bad cuz they learned with a screen machine. I mean anyone can give advice to anyone but when it comes down to it no one knows each other how they detect either, so to say oh ud b all beginners r better off with beep is plain stupid when its really a lot who say that r tesoro fans & want everyone to use one cuz they think there the greatest detector nothings better, well that's all opinion

THE TRUTH!

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find the garrett ace250 in a sports pack right now selling for $297..comes with 2 coils. For the same price you can get the 350 with the double d coil. I chose the 350. Also definitely get the garrett pro pointer....best pinpoint out there. Learn the tones and watch the screen. I have been getting coins to 8+ inches in fresh water wet sand along a local river

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Luvsdux is right on here
The single tone detectors have much more information in it than you would think.
I use an Teknetics Omega it has 1,2,3,4 different tones,but the single tone tells me whether the target is junk(pull tabs and such).
Sure i hunt in all the tones but just push a button two times and i`m in the single tone... and the meter hitting in the tab range but a good strong Sound,not scratchy i`m Digging it ...in the city.
In the country i use all metal so the screen don`t matter there so much.
Gary

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that true? What models only have one tone? I'm Being serious not a smartass or anything?!?! I didn't realize any brand STILL made single tone MDs?!?! Hello 2013?!?! I'm looking this up! Lol

All of them except the Golden uMax are single tone

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that true? What models only have one tone? I'm Being serious not a smartass or anything?!?! I didn't realize any brand STILL made single tone MDs?!?! Hello 2013?!?! I'm looking this up! Lol

Hows your research going I wish I had done more before spending $450.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luvsdux is right on here
The single tone detectors have much more information in it than you would think.
I use an Teknetics Omega it has 1,2,3,4 different tones,but the single tone tells me whether the target is junk(pull tabs and such).
Sure i hunt in all the tones but just push a button two times and i`m in the single tone... and the meter hitting in the tab range but a good strong Sound,not scratchy i`m Digging it ...in the city.
In the country i use all metal so the screen don`t matter there so much.
Gary

No one said they didn't have good info what we don't like to hear over & over is screen detectors r basically junk & getting a tesoro pushed there a fine machine but not the only one

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I vote for the F2. It's got a great warranty and fast recovery time. Tones are more tolerable as well...

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hows your research going I wish I had done more before spending $450.

You and fletch88 are correct, I just never paid attention to fact they were single tone machines?!? That's crazy, I don't own any Tesoro detectors, but they're pretty well respected... I wouldn't let this fact (single tone) stop me from buying one- but it does bug me for some reason?!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find the garrett ace250 in a sports pack right now selling for $297..comes with 2 coils. For the same price you can get the 350 with the double d coil. I chose the 350. Also definitely get the garrett pro pointer....best pinpoint out there. Learn the tones and watch the screen. I have been getting coins to 8+ inches in fresh water wet sand along a local river

I'm not saying don't consider the Aces but, you can get the F2- 2 coils and a F pointer and a Lesche for $215 at bigboy hobbies. I haven't looked in a while but I think they still have that deal going?!?!

Be warned that the F pointer is crap compared to the Garrett or Minelab pin pointers - but still better than no pin pointer at all.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one said they didn't have good info what we don't like to hear over & over is screen detectors r basically junk & getting a tesoro pushed there a fine machine but not the only one
I mentioned once on another thread that id on my explorer was pretty accurate and a guy responded that he loves following guys with meters and finding all the good stuff we miss. Then a couple days later in another thread he says hes had his silver umax for two months and things are starting to click. Not everybody but some just repeat the hype like its fact. I have nothing against tesoroes there just not for me.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go the Fisher route, the F pointer sells for about 40 bucks on eBay, so do that and put it in the jar for a Pro Pointer :) good luck!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go the Fisher route, the F pointer sells for about 40 bucks on eBay, so do that and put it in the jar for a Pro Pointer :) good luck!

Lol damn! I shoulda thought of that! Oh well it gave me something to tinker with for a while by trying to mod it. I got a bonus check coming at work soon so I'll probably just get a Pro pointer then!

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the F2 and did very well. Got addicted to the hobby and got an ATPro. AT goes much deeper, but for entry level the F2 was very good and I sold it on EBay for basically what I paid for it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.. Yes there is still only one tone detectors out there......... And i would have to say the ones that use one tone detectors find more than the ones that use detectors..... With multi tones and a VDI....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. Yes there is still only one tone detectors out there......... And i would have to say the ones that use one tone detectors find more than the ones that use detectors..... With multi tones and a VDI....

Ur opinion not a fact, obviously ur a tesoro guy so anything else in ur mind just isn't good enough well there r other great machines out there that work very well multi tone & tid detectors

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Or mayb its just to much at one time for u, to much information at once
....Oh you are so much more intelligent than the ones that do not use a screen........... For us that don't use a screen are just plain Duh ...We can't handle 2 things at once...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Oh you are so much more intelligent than the ones that do not use a screen........... For us that don't use a screen are just plain Duh ...We can't handle 2 things at once...

No not at all what I'm saying I'm more defending users who do use a screen that its not a waste of time & some of the machines with screens do have good info. Never once ever have I said I was nor users on screens or no screens are better then anyone u users with screen do exactly what u just said cuz we use screens we r missing stuff don't know how to detect with tones etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread