Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Treasure_Hunter said:
Sky Pilot said:
dirt doctor said:
Where did the Russians get all this money that all of a sudden we are paying them to ride bitch ? To hell with the outer space joyrides that money should be put toward helping fix some problems here in the U.S. .

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Sky Pilot

Are people so short sided they do not realize what our space program has brought us since the start?

Look at the satellites we have launched into space. These satellites help us predict hazardous weather conditions and give us services such as television and communications. Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Cyclones, or tornados would have damaged more property and killed more people if not for our space program. Without the satellites, you wouldn't have the ease of just switching on your television set and checking if it's a good day to go detecting or watching a football game.

It has given us better ways to keep our homes warm in winter and cool in summer while paying on our power bill. It has given us better protective clothing for men and women who do the tough jobs to keep this country running. Smart fabrics that have the potential to revolutionize the clothes we wear. Our advances in solar power, batteries, power transmission systems as well as computers have all been brought on because of our space research through the years.

Does anyone think about the advances in medical research, just one example is in the mid-1960's, NASA preparing for the Apollo moon landing program, they developed the technology known as digital image processing to allow computer enhancement of Moon pictures.

Digital image processing is now being used by doctors and hospitals to record images of organs in the human body. Two of the most widely used body imaging techniques are computer-aided tomography (CATScan) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)....

I could go on and on about what the space program has brought us....What if people had said the same thing about early flight, why waste money on joy rides in the air? :icon_scratch:

Every dime we have spent in space has come back to us a 1000 times over....

My biggest disappointment with the space program is that we don't have anything set to replace the Shuttle right now and go right back into space........

I see your point Treasure_Hunter, but I'm not certain that mine is clear to you.

My take on the subject is this: If we are going into space for whatever reason, WE should be going, NOT hitching a ride with the Russians or anyone else.
If we gotta catch a ride to get into space, rest assured we won't be building any new tools for the trip, useful or otherwise.

For the record, I hate to see the space program discontinued, to do so is a disgrace to our international heritage.
Like lots of children, I grew up looking forward to sending a man to the moon, and remember well the pride our nation had at being the first to plant our country's flag there.
Those times are gone, most folks have little to no pride left for our nation and the elected officials seem to think that it's best to give our money to "aid" some country or another when our OWN country is the one needing it most.

If we can't continue with pride the great tradition others have started, then that tradition needs to be laid to rest with honor. We shouldn't do a halfa**ed job and then pretend to be proud of it.
The emperor has no clothes and the time has passed when we can convince the world that he does.

Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
dirt doctor said:
Times are different now than when there used to be money here in the US for those kinds of things .Right now there are more priorities that need to be tended to , things like money being taken away from education , infrastructure repair , police and firemen being laid off and the list goes on and on . We should also stop giving money to countries who turn around and use it against us and fat cat crooked politicians , bankers and the rest of that elitist scum .

Dirt Doctor, I agree with this all the way. The last line however, is the reason we can't afford to continue with worthwhile projects like the space program.

Actually, the last line is why America is going to hell in a handbasket all the way around.

Great post! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Sky Pilot

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
dirt doctor said:
Times are different now than when there used to be money here in the US for those kinds of things .Right now there are more priorities that need to be tended to , things like money being taken away from education , infrastructure repair , police and firemen being laid off and the list goes on and on . We should also stop giving money to countries who turn around and use it against us and fat cat crooked politicians , bankers and the rest of that elitist scum .

...Like trillions of dollars of debt? Try using it to stave off the creditors before they turn around and foreclose on your country! :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sky Pilot said:
I see your point Treasure_Hunter, but I'm not certain that mine is clear to you.

My take on the subject is this: If we are going into space for whatever reason, WE should be going, NOT hitching a ride with the Russians or anyone else.
If we gotta catch a ride to get into space, rest assured we won't be building any new tools for the trip, useful or otherwise.

For the record, I hate to see the space program discontinued, to do so is a disgrace to our international heritage.
Like lots of children, I grew up looking forward to sending a man to the moon, and remember well the pride our nation had at being the first to plant our country's flag there.
Those times are gone, most folks have little to no pride left for our nation and the elected officials seem to think that it's best to give our money to "aid" some country or another when our OWN country is the one needing it most.

If we can't continue with pride the great tradition others have started, then that tradition needs to be laid to rest with honor. We shouldn't do a halfa**ed job and then pretend to be proud of it.
The emperor has no clothes and the time has passed when we can convince the world that he does.

Sky Pilot

SP, sorry, your point wasn't clear to me at first, but is now......

The hitchhike is just a temporary solution is my undersanding.....It appears the Orion spacecraft is still in the works. Orion is a spacecraft designed by Lockheed Martin for NASA Orion's development began in 2005 as part of the Constellation program, where Orion would fulfill the function of a Crew Exploration Vehicle.

Each Orion spacecraft is projected to carry a crew of four astronauts. The spacecraft was originally designed to be launched by the Ares I launch vehicle. As of 11 October 2010, with that being canceled the Ares program ended and the Orion vehicle is now planned to be launched on top of an intended cheaper alternative Space Launch System, to the Ares series.

The first orbital test flight of the Orion is planned for 2013, abort tests are planned are planned for 2014 and the first crewed Orion flight is projected for 2016. If commercial orbital transportation services are unavailable, Orion would handle logistic flights to the International Space Station

2011 (February) — AA-3 unmanned ascent abort test (low-altitude tumble test)
2012 (September) — Ares I-Y unmanned ascent abort test (high altitude)
2014 — First unmanned flight of Orion in Earth orbit
2016 — First manned flight of Orion in Earth orbit.
2015–2018 — First unmanned flight of Altair.
2016–2018 First manned flight of Altair.
2019 First manned lunar landing with Orion/Altair system.
2020 Review of Mars missions
2031 The Mission to Mars has tentative dates

My complaint is they did not plan for the Orion to follow the retirement of the Shuttle program sooner....... :'(

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know about space shuttle is,
one blew up right over my head in South Florida,(and I tell the book-keeper, to call 911?,
I didn't even realize shuttle took off that morning). :o

Thank GOD, the one with 49 pounds of plutonium on it, didn't blow up!
That one, I kept my eye on! :o

I won't be buying no 50 mil ticket, so no worries there! :laughing7:

Oh, my cousin and his wife, did run the resturant there at NASA, for like, 25 years! :laughing7:
(They wanted his brother too, But FPL took him in).
Nasa, as always, can just about, do what they want! Good luck to them!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
SP, sorry, your point wasn't clear to me at first, but is now......

The hitchhike is just a temporary solution is my undersanding.....It appears the Orion spacecraft is still in the works. Orion is a spacecraft designed by Lockheed Martin for NASA Orion's development began in 2005 as part of the Constellation program, where Orion would fulfill the function of a Crew Exploration Vehicle.

Each Orion spacecraft is projected to carry a crew of four astronauts. The spacecraft was originally designed to be launched by the Ares I launch vehicle. As of 11 October 2010, with that being canceled the Ares program ended and the Orion vehicle is now planned to be launched on top of an intended cheaper alternative Space Launch System, to the Ares series.

The first orbital test flight of the Orion is planned for 2013, abort tests are planned are planned for 2014 and the first crewed Orion flight is projected for 2016. If commercial orbital transportation services are unavailable, Orion would handle logistic flights to the International Space Station

2011 (February) — AA-3 unmanned ascent abort test (low-altitude tumble test)
2012 (September) — Ares I-Y unmanned ascent abort test (high altitude)
2014 — First unmanned flight of Orion in Earth orbit
2016 — First manned flight of Orion in Earth orbit.
2015–2018 — First unmanned flight of Altair.
2016–2018 First manned flight of Altair.
2019 First manned lunar landing with Orion/Altair system.
2020 Review of Mars missions
2031 The Mission to Mars has tentative dates

My complaint is they did not plan for the Orion to follow the retirement of the Shuttle program sooner....... :'(

Treasure_Hunter,

I should have made my position clear, any misunderstanding stemming from that is my fault and I apologize.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me about the temporary flight arrangements with the Russians and the fact that the Orion/Altair project hasn't been discontinued! :icon_thumleft:
Now that's a program that ALL Americans should be proud of, well worthy of continuing in the spirit and tradition of the original space program! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Hopefully we, as a nation, can cull the waste from, and the plunderers of, our country's resources and can afford to once again proudly lift up our space program to the world as a shining example of America's leadership and ingenuity, both in the fields of technology and space exploration.
It is possible for us to do, but we, as American citizens, must demand that "our" government stop taking away the things that make our country great. America is supposed to be leading not following, wherever we go.

If we can do that, then I have no doubt that our grandchildren, or their kids, will be able to experience the deep satisfaction and pride of seeing America be the first country to plant our flag on the Martian landscape. A worthy goal for all of us to focus on, for sure.

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
space program is like discussing religion. you are either all in and for it and believe space exploration will result in wondering new findings, etc.....or you believe every penny spent is an absolute waste.
huh

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Farmer chick, Being a realist I must be odd man out. It's the launching of the rockets and putting of men on a sky lab that I look at as being wasteful. The Earth bound research has given us a lot. It has given up practical advances like Corning dishes which came from research in nose cone design. The medical research for the space suits gave us some medical advances. I believe if you cut away that huge overhead (pun intended) of sky lab and it's launches you would have a viable program. Frank

Pat cat, don't worry I think it takes 98# to cause a chain reaction or was that U235.
Oh by the way I have the only piece of Columbia in private hands. Found it on the beach when a chunk of it washed up. Frank

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Pat cat, don't worry I think it takes 98# to cause a chain reaction or was that U235.
Said one scientist to the other, on the loading dock that morning! :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

In regards to your other statement;
Hey, now that is way too super cool Frankn! 8)
I'm glad none reigned down on my head that morning!
(I am a realists too, all my bills tell me so, but I keep refusing to believe them, ssshhhhh)
Wasn't there a thread somewhere, bout keep ya mouth shut? :laughing7:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you want nasa to cut waste in their program? can that be done? has it ever been done?
waste and cut don't go together in most programs :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirt doctor said:

More for education? How about eliminating the waste, fraud, and abuse first? How about getting rid of the teachers unions, the communist/global indoctrination forced on the students by those democrat party thugs called teachers? Texbooks that read more like a soviet propaganda pamphlet than an American school book?

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Cool Hand Fluke said:
dirt doctor said:

More for education? How about eliminating the waste, fraud, and abuse first? How about getting rid of the teachers unions, the communist/global indoctrination forced on the students by those democrat party thugs called teachers? Texbooks that read more like a soviet propaganda pamphlet than an American school book?

You have my blessings to attack any commie you want to .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
better medical pcitures thank god fer that cuz --humm --#7 cause of death in the USA -medical misadventure (doctor screw ups)-- we pay the most of any country for medical health care and still do not get the best medical care :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirt doctor said:
Cool Hand Fluke said:
dirt doctor said:

You have my blessings to attack any commie you want to .

OK. Well, the Obama administration is filled with them. So I'll be busy for the next 18 months.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets keep the politics out of the thread please.........................

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
So who won the 'space race' then? :(
A sad day for the USA

Attachments

• theo3.jpg
    theo3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 282
  • theo5.jpg
    theo5.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 276

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
It's a scandalous and to be fair...ridiculous amount of money since 1960 to have been spent on what basically boils down to "national pride"!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
It's a scandalous and to be fair...ridiculous amount of money since 1960 to have been spent on what basically boils down to "national pride"!

Dano, do you have any idea of all the advances in science, electronics, clothing and many other areas that our research in space has brought us? I posted only a tiny particle of it..... How many millions of lives have been saved by the Digital Image Processing used by doctors and hospitals to record images of organs in the human body, the computer-aided tomography (CATScan) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)....

Of course we all know that if the United States hadn't got in on the space race the Sovet Union would have just pulled back to their pre 1939 borders, never developed any ICBMs or tried to blackmail the world with their military.........East Europe was all they really wanted....... :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread