NASH light, 2 cent coin, half penny, Eagle button, round balls and a nice assortment from the scout camp.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went to the ballfields in a small town a few miles south of my home. The ball fields are no longer used, but they have a basketball court and a tot lot that are used frequently. I continued my grid on the old baseball field. It has a lot of BIG iron buried 12 to 24 inches down that sometimes will fool you. I do bring home some big iron and I also give up on some of the deeper stuff once I figure out what I’m chasing.

In 5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 65 coins with a face value of $4.33, a red light marked NASH, a key and a half, 2 Coca Cola game tabs, a cheapie kids ring, a plain sash buckle, can slaw, some copper wire and tabs.

DSCN3081.jpeg

The taps are from a PEEL A FORTUNE game the lid says PULL RING TO PLAY.

DSCN3084.jpeg

The red light is from a NASH automobile. They made them for a fair number of years and I’m not exactly sure where this light would have been located on the car. Any car buffs out there who might help out with what it was used for and date of use would be appreciated.

DSCN3082.jpeg

DAY 2
I got back to the scout camp. The last snow storm missed them so I was able to get back with thawed ground and no snow cover to worry about. I finished up the site I started last time and moved on to another site I haven’t done in several years. Always looking for the new losses and going beyond the areas cover before hoping for something cool lost between campsites.

In 6.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 98 coins with a face value of $9.05, 115 camp tent pegs (one of those rare hunts where I find more pegs than coins darn it), the end of a flashlight, 2 scout neckerchief slides, another piece of the new style scout belt buckle I found last time, a rope tensioner, 2 pieces of copper used for metal work merit badge, a piece of a small strap buckle, an aluminum religious medal, a variety of sinkers, a dead pocket knife, whole aluminum cans, personal tent pegs, tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires.

DSCN3085.jpeg

IMG_8254.jpeg

The first slide was under a thin layer of leaves in the middle of a site. It is in new condition like it was just bought yesterday. The other one was out beyond the edge of the tenting area of a site and like most of them was in the dirt and has been there a long time. The dirty one will be tumbled and painted and given to a new scout and save his folks the $7.99 a new one costs. The copper pieces are from a scout working on metalwork merit badge. The canoe shape is an incomplete neckerchief slide. The arrow has a ring soldered to the back that can be adjusted, so a completed slide.

DSCN3086.jpeg

Believe it or not, but the finds are actually a lot fewer than they were 3 years ago. And I’m not finding anything super good, but the scouts keep losing stuff and I’m always hoping for something special. So I keep going and swingin. At least I get gas money, the camp gets their pegs back to use and loose again and the new scouts get a free neckerchief slide, so I guess it’s all good.

DAY 3
I went back to the elementary school and continued to grid sections of the play ground. The good targets were few for the most part with a patch of big iron. I ended up digging some of the iron, but in the end the hunt was a good one.

In 5.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 26 coins with a face value of $1.33, part of a game can lid, most of a table knife with a flower pattern on the handle, a military button, a mystery coin, a British coin, a strap buckle, a kiddie ring missing the stone setting, an toasted aluminum religious medal, a key, a cap to a tube, a snap, a brass connector, a bullet, part of a spoon, a lot of interesting iron, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

DSCN3087.jpeg

I try to avoid diggin the iron when I can, but when it is close to the top and I get that bell tone for overload, I dig it out. There was a pretty large iron patch in this area and some interesting stuff in the mix. A double bit axe and a cast iron stove lid in the first box. In the second box there is a really destroyed butcher knife, part of an old school desk frame, an odd horseshoe, a screen door spring hinge, a kids toy wagon wheel without the tire, a heavy furniture wheel, and a whatzit.

IMG_8264.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

The Eagle button is a general service button with a HORSTMAN PHILADELPHIA backmark. I checked the button styles and this one was used between 1875 and 1902. The Horstman backmark was first used in 1893. So this little one was made between 1893 and 1902. It’s nice when you get such a tight window of manufacture.

DSCN3090.jpeg

The mystery coin was a surprise. The size told me it was either a half cent or a 2 cent piece. It is really toasty and it resisted every effort to clean it with tooth pick and wooden skewer. I could see part of the wreath and the NITE of United States. I could also see a little bit of the top ribbon on the other side so I thought it was a 2 cent piece. I took a chance and carefully rubbed the center of the coin with 0000 steel wool. Rub a little, take a look with the magnifying glass and keep repeating until you get something. Eventually I did get a look at the 2 so it is a 2 cent piece, but it is so crusty and looking at the 2 it is also badly pitted under the crust. If I used electrolysis it would be an unrecognizable pitted disc so I will leave it alone. I don’t recommend the steel wool except in special cases and you do need to go carefully. If you go too far there is no going back.

DSCN3094.jpeg

DSCN3098.jpeg

The British half penny was a real surprise. I thought it was a penny at first since it is dated 1963. I didn’t think they used half pennies that recently. But then I rubbed a little more dirt off and saw the Half. Someone holed it to wear on a string.

DSCN3091.jpeg

DAY 4
I made my weekly trip to the new middle school. I spent 6 hours extending the grid on the ball field and had a decent gas money day with a few extras. All together I found 139 coins with a face value of $11.37, some cheapie bling, 3 wheaties, a live shotgun shell, a stainless fork, 2 round balls, a tiny hose connector, a screw in cleat, 3 keys (all found separately), whole cans and can slaw, tabs, lots of pencil ends and assorted other junk.

DSCN3100.jpeg

The wheaties are a 1926, a 1944 and a real toasty one I can’t get a date on.

DSCN3101.jpeg

The round balls are a .69 caliber a little beat up and a beautiful .50 caliber with a mold sprue. No way to get a positive date on these, but there was a lot of soldiers in town during the civil war so who knows.

DSCN3102.jpeg

The tiny chain is non magnetic and the CZ didn’t react to it. The ATPro probably would have. It was an eyeball find on the surface and I knew it was metal because the pinpointer did react.

DSCN3100.jpeg

A good week for gas money and some interesting stuff to keep it fun. The weather has been decent so that helps. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

DSCN3103.jpeg DSCN3104.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCN3088.jpeg
    DSCN3088.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Upvote 17

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DAY 1
I went to the ballfields in a small town a few miles south of my home. The ball fields are no longer used, but they have a basketball court and a tot lot that are used frequently. I continued my grid on the old baseball field. It has a lot of BIG iron buried 12 to 24 inches down that sometimes will fool you. I do bring home some big iron and I also give up on some of the deeper stuff once I figure out what I’m chasing.

In 5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 65 coins with a face value of $4.33, a red light marked NASH, a key and a half, 2 Coca Cola game tabs, a cheapie kids ring, a plain sash buckle, can slaw, some copper wire and tabs.

View attachment 2137975

View attachment 2137977

The red light is from a NASH automobile. They made them for a fair number of years and I’m not exactly sure where this light would have been located on the car. Any car buffs out there who might help out with what it was used for and date of use would be appreciated.

View attachment 2137976

DAY 2
I got back to the scout camp. The last snow storm missed them so I was able to get back with thawed ground and no snow cover to worry about. I finished up the site I started last time and moved on to another site I haven’t done in several years. Always looking for the new losses and going beyond the areas cover before hoping for something cool lost between campsites.

In 6.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 98 coins with a face value of $9.05, 115 camp tent pegs (one of those rare hunts where I find more pegs than coins darn it), the end of a flashlight, 2 scout neckerchief slides, another piece of the new style scout belt buckle I found last time, a rope tensioner, 2 pieces of copper used for metal work merit badge, a piece of a small strap buckle, an aluminum religious medal, a variety of sinkers, a dead pocket knife, whole aluminum cans, personal tent pegs, tabs and melted aluminum from the campfires.

View attachment 2137978

View attachment 2137980

The first slide was under a thin layer of leaves in the middle of a site. It is in new condition like it was just bought yesterday. The other one was out beyond the edge of the tenting area of a site and like most of them was in the dirt and has been there a long time. The dirty one will be tumbled and painted and given to a new scout and save his folks the $7.99 a new one costs. The copper pieces are from a scout working on metalwork merit badge. The canoe shape is an incomplete neckerchief slide. The arrow has a ring soldered to the back that can be adjusted, so a completed slide.

View attachment 2137979

Believe it or not, but the finds are actually a lot fewer than they were 3 years ago. And I’m not finding anything super good, but the scouts keep losing stuff and I’m always hoping for something special. So I keep going and swingin. At least I get gas money, the camp gets their pegs back to use and loose again and the new scouts get a free neckerchief slide, so I guess it’s all good.

DAY 3
I went back to the elementary school and continued to grid sections of the play ground. The good targets were few for the most part with a patch of big iron. I ended up digging some of the iron, but in the end the hunt was a good one.

In 5.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 26 coins with a face value of $1.33, part of a game can lid, most of a table knife with a flower pattern on the handle, a military button, a mystery coin, a British coin, a strap buckle, a kiddie ring missing the stone setting, an toasted aluminum religious medal, a key, a cap to a tube, a snap, a brass connector, a bullet, part of a spoon, a lot of interesting iron, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2137981

I try to avoid diggin the iron when I can, but when it is close to the top and I get that bell tone for overload, I dig it out. There was a pretty large iron patch in this area and some interesting stuff in the mix. A double bit axe and a cast iron stove lid in the first box. In the second box there is a really destroyed butcher knife, part of an old school desk frame, an odd horseshoe, a screen door spring hinge, a kids toy wagon wheel without the tire, a heavy furniture wheel, and a whatzit.

View attachment 2137984

View attachment 2137983

The Eagle button is a general service button with a HORSTMAN PHILADELPHIA backmark. I checked the button styles and this one was used between 1875 and 1902. The Horstman backmark was first used in 1893. So this little one was made between 1893 and 1902. It’s nice when you get such a tight window of manufacture.

View attachment 2137974

The mystery coin was a surprise. The size told me it was either a half cent or a 2 cent piece. It is really toasty and it resisted every effort to clean it with tooth pick and wooden skewer. I could see part of the wreath and the NITE of United States. I could also see a little bit of the top ribbon on the other side so I thought it was a 2 cent piece. I took a chance and carefully rubbed the center of the coin with 0000 steel wool. Rub a little, take a look with the magnifying glass and keep repeating until you get something. Eventually I did get a look at the 2 so it is a 2 cent piece, but it is so crusty and looking at the 2 it is also badly pitted under the crust. If I used electrolysis it would be an unrecognizable pitted disc so I will leave it alone. I don’t recommend the steel wool except in special cases and you do need to go carefully. If you go too far there is no going back.

View attachment 2137986

View attachment 2137987

The British half penny was a real surprise. I thought it was a penny at first since it is dated 1963. I didn’t think they used half pennies that recently. But then I rubbed a little more dirt off and saw the Half. Someone holed it to wear on a string.

View attachment 2137985

DAY 4
I made my weekly trip to the new middle school. I spent 6 hours extending the grid on the ball field and had a decent gas money day with a few extras. All together I found 139 coins with a face value of $11.37, some cheapie bling, 3 wheaties, a live shotgun shell, a stainless fork, 2 round balls, a tiny hose connector, a screw in cleat, 3 keys (all found separately), whole cans and can slaw, tabs, lots of pencil ends and assorted other junk.

View attachment 2137988

View attachment 2137989

The round balls are a .69 caliber a little beat up and a beautiful .50 caliber with a mold sprue. No way to get a positive date on these, but there was a lot of soldiers in town during the civil war so who knows.

View attachment 2137990

The tiny chain is non magnetic and the CZ didn’t react to it. The ATPro probably would have. It was an eyeball find on the surface and I knew it was metal because the pinpointer did react.

View attachment 2137993

A good week for gas money and some interesting stuff to keep it fun. The weather has been decent so that helps. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

View attachment 2137991 View attachment 2137992
looks like a lot of fun. btw, big thanks on the detailed posts. must take you a few hours or more to make them, well done many times over

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2137975

View attachment 2137977

View attachment 2137976

DAY 2

View attachment 2137978

View attachment 2137980

View attachment 2137979

DAY 3

View attachment 2137981

View attachment 2137984

View attachment 2137983

View attachment 2137974

View attachment 2137986

View attachment 2137987

View attachment 2137985

DAY 4

View attachment 2137988

View attachment 2137989

View attachment 2137990

View attachment 2137993

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

blackheart

Mar 6, 2024
Emporium, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 / Nokta AccuPoint
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DAY 1

View attachment 2137975

View attachment 2137977

View attachment 2137976

DAY 2

View attachment 2137978

View attachment 2137980

View attachment 2137979

DAY 3

View attachment 2137981

View attachment 2137984

View attachment 2137983

View attachment 2137974

View attachment 2137986

View attachment 2137987

View attachment 2137985

DAY 4

View attachment 2137988

View attachment 2137989

View attachment 2137990

View attachment 2137993

Just found a 1928 Half Penny after work today! Keep on swingin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread