Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2][/h]
Anyone done research in the National Archives?

Online, in their centers, or through the private researchers?

I look at it like a Black Hole of American History, sort of like the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Ark is stored in a vast warehouse never to be seen again.

American history is a large part of our heritage and so should be reasonably accessible to us in our lifetime.

What do you guys think?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have, but the info is soooo vast, the site seemed hard to navigate? Thanks

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went there 25 years ago. They have a cartographics ( maps ) division. They were nice folks. Its all probably all on line now. What are you looking for ?

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for anyone's recent experience.

I used to call these guys up when a long distance call was something to consider. Especially a 30 minute one.

The staff was helpful and friendly though. Then they went "private", which means you had to pay for research.

I'm just wondering if that's the case now and if so, how it's working.

In other words, how do you get info out of there?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have done tons of research via the NARA.

It is a great resource to have and utilize, and run by seemingly great and informed people...

but good lord if your not patient it just may kill you!

Waiting times for certain record copies are typically measured in months, and even up to a year depending on what your subject area is!

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done tons of research via the NARA.

It is a great resource to have and utilize, and run by seemingly great and informed people...

but good lord if your not patient it just may kill you!

Waiting times for certain record copies are typically measured in months, and even up to a year depending on what your subject area is!

Where was that at?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a mixture of their online database, over the phone, and requesting of all copies via snail mail.

NOTE: they say they have confederate records, which is true... to a certain extent.

They have what was forwarded to them for archiving after the war... prior to reconstruction all confederate records were maintained by the county/state... unfortunately due to being independently compiled and scattered across the nation, a lot of records never got forwarded, fell victim to floods/fires/or poor record keeping managers... or simply just got lost in time.

Add to that, the fact that there was a massive, catastrophic fire decades ago at the D.C. NARA archive location and they lost a massive chunk of records dating prior to WW1. If your looking for something found in the St. Louis archive you may have better luck... just keep in mind that time periods are strictly divided between the archive library locations.

Lastly, remember that after 65 years, personnel records become Public Property, and this is when personnel records begin to cost you for any copies you request...usually about 30 bucks a record, if my memory suits me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread