National Register of Historical Places question.

Jangers

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
TreasurePRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the hobby. While researching possible detecting sites I came across a building built in the early 1800's. The building was added to NRHP in the 80's which, as I understand, would make detecting a no go. However, the building was moved from its original location in the 70's. Is the original site of the building fair game? The site is now occupied by a medical facility. I happen to be related to the director of the facility so getting permission won't be an issue. Also, I checked the original application for the NRHP and the address listed is not the address of the original site. I'm just not certain if the site is protected. Thoughts?

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that even if the house were still there if you have permission from the owner you can hunt the property just not alter the structure.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've worked with organizations and owners of National and State registered properties. Ultimately the property surrounding the structure is protected in most cases. Permissions for these properties can range from verbal, right up to Proposals and permissions from governing bodies. I always get things in writing, and even prefer proposals in many cases to eliminate any ambiguity for all parties.

Now if the land is separate from the house after being moved, it shouldn't be included unless the address for the land is included. If that's the case, after that, it's just a matter of gaining permission from the owner.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually does not put any restrictions on the property- unless the property owner uses the registration to obtain public funds for preservation
"official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation"
" National Register listing places no obligations on private property owners. There are no restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jangers, don't over-think this. Just go.

You have permission, you can't find anything that prohibits, yet you still worry/wonder ? Just go. I've detected houses with plaques like that in their front yard. If the property owners says "go ahead", I never argue with a yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread