National Wild Turkey Federation Auctioneer Pins (OMG??)

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much time to type this up atm, but here it is. I found a bunch of pins in a jewelry grab bag at a thrift store a week or two ago. I passed them off as junk until I did a little research and saw that some could actually sell for $2-$10 a piece + shipping. That in mind, I figured I could at least make my money back on the bag with those alone.

One set of pins that I did not find in my shallow research were the National Wild Turkey Federation Pins. I had two of them and figured meh, I'll post it for $9.99 and hopefully get some collector to throw a single bid out there and that'd be all. And that happened. For the last few days it sat at $9.99 and I was content.

I just checked my ebay listing tonight: National Wild Turkey Federation Auctioneer Pins | eBay

Hah! Please explain. ??? :laughing7:

Last edited:

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is you have some collector who are missing the pins from there collection. NWTF & DU comes out with all kinds of stuff for there banquets. They bring good money at the banquets. The resale on these banquet items is nowhere near what people pay for them at the banquet. Some of these sportsman collect certain things ie pins. They come out with a different pin every year and there missing this pin to complete there collection till the next year. This is my guess. I ran a Ducks Unlimited Chapter for 4 years and conducted numerous banquets. Its all about raising money for the chapter and people will spend big money on branded items. I have seen DU pictures sell for over 3k before yet if you look the following year you can find the same one for less than 100 on ebay. Doesn't make any sense. Sportsman will throw out big money at these events. Again my guess is you have someone who collects the pins but is missing the ones you are selling. The ones you have are auctioneer pins so only the auctioneer of the banquet is able to get that one vs a sponsor or members pin. Auctioneers pin is in smaller numbers compared to the other 2.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats but you need to do something about your pics. Typically, bad pics like that would deter bidders.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the pics weren't great for these, but I didn't expect it to produce this kind of action. I took quick snaps of items that I only expected to sell at their low starting price - if at all. A complete surprise to me, though.

edit: I took your advise and added two more pictures of better quality, jerseyben. I'll probably add a few more in a minute. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows?.... I love it when that happens. Just for fun I thought I'd see what the highest recent price of a single book of matches was. Found one that sold for $250. and one from Japan went for $256.00 Isn't ebay great? I'll keep an eye out for Turkeys pins now. Hope I remember that if I spot one. I'm thinking someone either had one and lost it or felt they deserve one and didn't get it.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
around here I look for coal mine ,both union and non union pins...vendors also give em out to the miners ....when they sign a new union contract theres a new pin...good profit and htf...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
You have going what we all hope for when we put something up for auction... a bidding war! I checked the bid history for your pin. You have two people battling it out to get this pin. I suspect lonelyduckhunter is right - the two bidders are collectors and they are both missing this pin from their collection and they both want it quite badly. Here's hoping they both have lots of money to spend! :occasion14:

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
You go boy!! Nice find. On another note, I don't know how much selling you do but this seems like a really good reason to never just take a quick shot of anything. If it's worth selling, take good pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread