Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandfather found this artifact in Maryland, it appears to be clay that has ancient fingerprints from molding in it. Anyways, it seems pretty cool. Fingerprints in the clay are more prominent in hand. Also, when do you think it is from?
20141024_130833.jpg 20141024_130821.jpg
Thanks for Looking,

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the black stuff on the outside? Is it a glaze on red clay pottery? If glazed, it is most likely not native made. Really cool piece though. I have a clay pot that is only one and a half inches across that has four finger prints imbedded on the back. It was dug out of a native trash pit circa 1100 AD in the 1980s by me. Fingerprints from the past are so cool.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the black stuff on the outside? Is it a glaze on red clay pottery? If glazed, it is most likely not native made. Really cool piece though. I have a clay pot that is only one and a half inches across that has four finger prints imbedded on the back. It was dug out of a native trash pit circa 1100 AD in the 1980s by me. Fingerprints from the past are so cool.

No, It's not glazed, it looks to be natural clay, that was dug out, and dyed a certain color to be made into some ceramic. It is indeed hard, like it was fired in heat, but definitely not glazed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread