🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My prize beachcombing find at the high tide shell line on North Topsail Island, NC, a Native American clay pottery shard.

This piece closely resembles those in the display case at the Missiles and More Museum which date from the Hanover, or Middle Woodland period (circa 3,000 BC to 800 AD). I had this confirmed by the Assistant State Archeologist ( North Carolina).

This is my first ever pottery piece of Native American origin and I’m really excited about it. :icon_thumright: 3856B74F-2CA5-403F-B345-06292EF0A8FA.jpeg A0350D6B-7FA2-4798-98EB-FB1D4A2771CA.jpeg F5908D0C-C6D2-4E9C-AA5D-BFABFF0EAF25.jpeg 97F3C040-0EC8-4B9D-AFB4-F325D0DEE83E.jpeg 07696847-AEBA-47E4-93BF-12866AA172DA.jpeg 96D9C317-16B7-4204-8BC7-CA856BDFC6DC.jpeg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice , that’s a good size piece , I find very similar pieces on the shores of Maryland as far as the tempering. Interesting how many artifacts from Maryland and NC look identical.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice , that’s a good size piece , I find very similar pieces on the shores of Maryland as far as the tempering. Interesting how many artifacts from Maryland and NC look identical.

Thanks, arrow86! When I first spotted it the plain side was facing up and I thought it was just a piece of blackened or fossil clam shell. It pays to examine many things more closely before discarding! :thumbsup:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a nice artifact. Its great to hear how helpful and engaging the archeologists and museum were.

If only ALL of our states had the insightful mission to assist, educate and encourage us to share our finds and post them publicly, the goal of uncovering and preserving history would be achieved.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice artifact. Its great to hear how helpful and engaging the archeologists and museum were.

If only ALL of our states had the insightful mission to assist, educate and encourage us to share our finds and post them publicly, the goal of uncovering and preserving history would be achieved.

Thanks, MAMucker and you make a very good point! :thumbsup:

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I am very proud of any sherd I find, but this construction type is so interesting. The inside shows the maker's finger indentations. I would spend time with my loupe to search it for fingerprints, but that's just my thing. I have a collection of sherds with fingerprints.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very proud of any sherd I find, but this construction type is so interesting. The inside shows the maker's finger indentations. I would spend time with my loupe to search it for fingerprints, but that's just my thing. I have a collection of sherds with fingerprints.

Thanks for the idea, gilmerman. That possibility never occurred to me! I looked more closely, under magnification, and can now see what might be faint fingerprints in the upper right hand corner depression. Wow. :occasion14:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lots of pottery like this is found in the low-country of S.C. There , it is called, " Colono pottery, made by early slaves. " Much of it will show finger & thumb prints in the forming of it.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome find! I live in the Western part of NC and find pottery shards in my creek, just about all I find and I love them. Pottery tells a different story than points and interesting in it's own merit, at least to me lol.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of pottery like this is found in the low-country of S.C. There , it is called, " Colono pottery, made by early slaves. " Much of it will show finger & thumb prints in the forming of it.
I never heard of that type of pottery, CaptEsteban. It is so humbling to think that people from centuries or tens of centuries ago could leave lasting imprints of their hands and fingers behind like that!

Absolutely awesome find! I live in the Western part of NC and find pottery shards in my creek, just about all I find and I love them. Pottery tells a different story than points and interesting in it's own merit, at least to me lol.
Thank you, NCPeaches! I must admit that I'm also more impressed with finding this piece of pottery than a point. I have found a small number of stone scrapers and points before, but never pottery!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never heard of that type of pottery, CaptEsteban. It is so humbling to think that people from centuries or tens of centuries ago could leave lasting imprints of their hands and fingers behind like that!

Thank you, NCPeaches! I must admit that I'm also more impressed with finding this piece of pottery than a point. I have found a small number of stone scrapers and points before, but never pottery!

It's exciting! When I started finding the pottery it changed my entire view of my land and the mountains nearby. I have found a few spear points, knives and one Palmer point and they are awesome but I have over 300 pottery shards, I keep them all. I even gave a name to the "energy" that helps me find them, I call it Creek Spirit and thank it every time I find something. Lately though Creek Spirit hasn't been too good to me though but not it's fault since we have been going through a very hot and dry Summer. We did just have some nice rain so I might go out there this weekend and check but the leaves are falling and that adds to frustration. Still it's good to get out. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's exciting! When I started finding the pottery it changed my entire view of my land and the mountains nearby. I have found a few spear points, knives and one Palmer point and they are awesome but I have over 300 pottery shards, I keep them all. I even gave a name to the "energy" that helps me find them, I call it Creek Spirit and thank it every time I find something. Lately though Creek Spirit hasn't been too good to me though but not it's fault since we have been going through a very hot and dry Summer. We did just have some nice rain so I might go out there this weekend and check but the leaves are falling and that adds to frustration. Still it's good to get out. Happy Hunting!

I keep everything I find too, even quartz or flint flakes and discards! As I walk the woods or fields I like to think that I also can somehow tap into that "energy" of long forgotten people, and take in the same sights and sounds that they might have experienced... Happy Hunting to you too and hope conditions improve! :thumbsup:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colonoware was first thought to be some type of more primitive Native American pottery , & low-country tribes MAY have made some of it. But its abundance around slave operated plantations etc, dating, & its similarity to primitive African pottery , convinced archaeologists to start using the term, " Colono ," when referring to it. I have seen nice bowls, cups, with handles , larger vessels made from it. Think of yourself hand forming a bowl from play dough , just with you thumbs & fingers , then firing it over a low temperature fire, & you can see what I am talking about.
https://www.nps.gov/ethnography/aah/aaheritage/lowCountryC.htm

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonoware was first thought to be some type of more primitive Native American pottery , & low-country tribes MAY have made some of it. But its abundance around slave operated plantations etc, dating, & its similarity to primitive African pottery , convinced archaeologists to start using the term, " Colono ," when referring to it. I have seen nice bowls, cups, with handles , larger vessels made from it. Think of yourself hand forming a bowl from play dough , just with you thumbs & fingers , then firing it over a low temperature fire, & you can see what I am talking about.
https://www.nps.gov/ethnography/aah/aaheritage/lowCountryC.htm
Thanks for the informative link, CaptEsteban! :icon_thumright:

I think CaptEsteban nailed it
Yes, arrow86, do you mean as far similarities of firing and fingerprints being left behind, in the creation of Colonoware, to the Native American piece that I found in NC?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions