CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T Net diggers , The field I've been hunting was recently plowed up by the farmer . Heavy rains exposed this war club , or stone axe , tomahawk , all are similar .. I am a relic , coin hunter so these recent Indian artifact finds are incredible for me . Arrow head is from a few weeks ago , same field . I never stumble upon stuff like this and it's a thrill that I cannot put into words .

This war club is possibly 10,000 years old , a minimum of 300 years old and may be from the Lenni Lenape tribe which hunted this part of South Jersey since the mid archaic times of the Ice Age .
An old colonial era chain and some flat buttons , and lots of pottery shards , were also found .

Thanks for stopping in and HH CMD dawg

Attachments

• war club 13.JPG
    war club 13.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 220
  • war club 2.JPG
    war club 2.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 159
  • war club 3.JPG
    war club 3.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 180
  • war club 4.JPG
    war club 4.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 134
  • war club 6.JPG
    war club 6.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 147
  • war club 7.JPG
    war club 7.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 170
  • war club 10.JPG
    war club 10.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 268
  • war club 11.JPG
    war club 11.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 192
  • war club 12.JPG
    war club 12.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 1

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That type of axe is known as a "full-groove", meaning the hafting groove goes completely around the stone. Full-grooves are some of the oldest axes found in the U.S. but, unfortunately, most aren't worth that much (except for those in exceptional condition, material, or size). They date somewhere around 4,000-6,000 years old. Yours (while being a fantastic find) probably isn't worth more than about $50-75. The more valuable axes are the 3/4 groove and some of the half-groove varieties (Keokuk axes) usually found farther north in larger quantities.
That being said, it is an awesome find! Most people never find an axe in their whole lives. I've found a few, but most were just broken pieces. The arrowhead is also a really nice find. Probably worth more than the axe, because of it's size and striking colors. Congrats!
Thanks Digs68 Interesting information , I respect your opinion , but it is exceptional condition .. A once in a lifetime is correct and saved it just in time from harrowing disc damage and like Westfront said , to be the first to hold it since thousands of years BC .. Priceless , Ammo u , can you get a picture of that axe , I would like to see it . He used it as a doorstop .. what the :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Hi Hamidetecting :skullflag: and Hell0 :skullflag: Mighiganne :cool: Thanks T Net ..

Dawg

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dawg! I have found lots of arrowheads, scrapers, and knives that I eyeballed while detecting plowed fields, but I have never found a groved axe. It's great to be able to eyeball Native American artifcats while metal detecting for colonial relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread